Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Re: VRFish Oppose Proposed Commercial Increase in Port Phillip Bay

Post by Seniorfisho » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:29 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:12 pm
4liters wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:51 pm
There is an unsourced claim on the SIV website saying that recreational fishors take more snapper than the pros. While they don't say how they arrived at that figure it wouldn't surprise me if they were right.

https://www.siv.com.au/port-phillip-bay-fishery.html
According to catch statistics, there are around 7 times more snapper caught by recreational anglers than commercial fishers. KGWs it is about even.
Let them come and net down your way then, i don't want them here, i've seen what they did in the past

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:51 pm

Personally I would like the size limits increased on whiting,flathead and snapper. I see loads of Facebook pages where people have caught 60 whiting but half their catch is dead on 27cm do me a favour there's no meat left when cleaned

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:53 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:47 am
bowl wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:15 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:57 pm
cobby wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:17 pm
Vrfish are a bunch of self absorbed, self serving fuckwits and have been for years. I'd take their foot stomping seriously if they bothered to highlight that we take a hell of a lot more than pros, even if they got their extra 232 tonnes, and had the nets they had before the ban.

Hell, if I could be bothered I'd write an email to Horne in favour of increased quota even if it's nothing more than a **** you gesture towards Vrfish
There must be a hell of a lot of mystery fishos around if they are taking more fish than the pros, most fishos fishing the bay are lucky to get a fish every trip. If it was up to me I would get rid of all pro fishos in PPB forever
Lucky to get one fish every trip ..c'mon they try to catch them by hand or something....

Fishing was fine when all netters where In bay.
How many big snapper have you caught this year that is contributing to the angling pressure? If you believe the netters were fine then you have no idea of what the northern end of the bay was like in the 70's and 80's. your bag limit of whiting is 20 fish, do you think that puts angling pressure on whiting stocks? How many times have been fishing this year and caught donuts?, and by that i mean decent fish?
what fishing been like in last 20 years in bay with netters..... scallop dredging stuffed the bay.
move the goal post much from , gone from lucky to get 1 fish every trip , to how many big fish ya catch.....ffs
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:05 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:29 pm
re-tyred wrote:
4liters wrote:
There is an unsourced claim on the SIV website saying that recreational fishors take more snapper than the pros. While they don't say how they arrived at that figure it wouldn't surprise me if they were right.

According to catch statistics, there are around 7 times more snapper caught by recreational anglers than commercial fishers. KGWs it is about even.
Let them come and net down your way then, i don't want them here, i've seen what they did in the past
We have the largest commercial fleet in the state
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:11 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:05 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:29 pm
re-tyred wrote:
4liters wrote:

We have the largest commercial fleet in the state
i'd be trying to get rid of them, too small at the lakes to have netters

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:16 pm

bowl wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:53 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:47 am
bowl wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:15 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:57 pm
cobby wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:17 pm
Vrfish are a bunch of self absorbed, self serving fuckwits and have been for years. I'd take their foot stomping seriously if they bothered to highlight that we take a hell of a lot more than pros, even if they got their extra 232 tonnes, and had the nets they had before the ban.

Hell, if I could be bothered I'd write an email to Horne in favour of increased quota even if it's nothing more than a **** you gesture towards Vrfish
There must be a hell of a lot of mystery fishos around if they are taking more fish than the pros, most fishos fishing the bay are lucky to get a fish every trip. If it was up to me I would get rid of all pro fishos in PPB forever
Lucky to get one fish every trip ..c'mon they try to catch them by hand or something....

Fishing was fine when all netters where In bay.
How many big snapper have you caught this year that is contributing to the angling pressure? If you believe the netters were fine then you have no idea of what the northern end of the bay was like in the 70's and 80's. your bag limit of whiting is 20 fish, do you think that puts angling pressure on whiting stocks? How many times have been fishing this year and caught donuts?, and by that i mean decent fish?
what fishing been like in last 20 years in bay with netters..... scallop dredging stuffed the bay.
move the goal post much from , gone from lucky to get 1 fish every trip , to how many big fish ya catch.....ffs
Oh ok, and netting didn't affect it? you have no idea, and where are all your big snapper? how do they come to the conclusion that fishos take more fish than netters? they wouldn't know who was catching what, how many times have you bagged out recently? Not many I would imagine or we would have seen the pics. No need to take it personally, I was making a valid point and you just came in over the top. If you don't agree with me then fine but your claims are absolute garbage and not founded on facts

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:40 pm

Good info re-tyred, appreciate it.
Just curios as to how the governing body cane up with those numbers?
Its hard to police how many people caught how many fish, or is there some sort of an average calculation done to arrive at those numbers.

Not everyone fishes, so there has to be a sustainable way to bring the fish to the table. If those ways are taken advantage of then we have a problem.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:52 pm

Everytime the fisheries go out and check people. Their main job is to gather statistics. They also check at the ramps. There are people that participate in the fishing diary system. Over many years the data base gets more accurate. For commercials they have to unload at an official receiving place. All fish is checked and recorded. This must then match their fishing log. They are also required to have cameras record onboard. The vid is recorded to hard drive that is sent into fisheries.
Stocks are assessed by egg count. A very complex science. It did predict the current KGW surge about five years ago.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:22 pm

I’m stuffed if they can know who catches what. Definitely not me anyway. There has to be a balance found and it can’t be that hard to find it. You can’t shitcan professional fisherman if you order fish at a restaurant, can’t hair both ways.

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:26 pm

Have it, 😁

Return to “VRFish (Victorian Recreational Fishing Peak-Body)”