VRFish Oppose Proposed Commercial Increase in Port Phillip Bay

News and Information from VRFish
User avatar
re-tyred
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:54 am
Location: Lakes Entrance
Has liked: 300 times
Likes received: 767 times

Re: VRFish Oppose Proposed Commercial Increase in Port Phillip Bay

Post by re-tyred » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:38 pm

Yes they would all be marketable. If the quantity of KGWs, flathead and gummies was significant, then I could see some objections. I doubt it would be many KGWs due to hook size.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

frozenpod
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:04 pm
Has liked: 77 times
Likes received: 100 times

Re: VRFish Oppose Proposed Commercial Increase in Port Phillip Bay

Post by frozenpod » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:49 pm

Might be 1 KGW per shot.

cobby
Rank: Murray Cod
Rank: Murray Cod
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:39 pm
Has liked: 128 times
Likes received: 285 times

Re: VRFish Oppose Proposed Commercial Increase in Port Phillip Bay

Post by cobby » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:21 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:38 pm
Yes they would all be marketable. If the quantity of KGWs, flathead and gummies was significant, then I could see some objections. I doubt it would be many KGWs due to hook size.
Bycatch is mostly sharks and rays with the usual bearded cod, couta and the like in the mix.

cobby
Rank: Murray Cod
Rank: Murray Cod
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:39 pm
Has liked: 128 times
Likes received: 285 times

Re: VRFish Oppose Proposed Commercial Increase in Port Phillip Bay

Post by cobby » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:42 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:57 pm
re-tyred wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:48 am
100,000 people participating in a snapper season. 4 kg of whole fish for the entire season =400 tonne
100,00 people release a 4kg snapper each and thats 400 tonne extra fish
I release majority of the fish I catch, but if I want to slaughter 20 x 4kg Snapper over the course of 2 months then that's my prerogative. Same applies if I want to bag out 2 or 3 times a week for 2 months.

Seriously, dictating to people that they can't keep fish to eat is stupid rubbish. The bay health and fish stocks within it have come on in leaps and bounds over the last 2 and a bit decades since coincidentally the scallop dredging industry was killed off. All whilst commercial net fishing was still allowed. If you can't catch atleast 1 Snapper over 40cm almost every trip between mid October and Christmas in Port Phillip Bay then you're just a **** fisherman

rb85
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean
Has liked: 370 times
Likes received: 519 times

Re: VRFish Oppose Proposed Commercial Increase in Port Phillip Bay

Post by rb85 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:47 pm

Had a nice feed of fish and chips Sunday arvo. Flake KGW & Calamari no commercial fishing no fish & chips or seafood dishes at restaurants.
Post a pic, Post a Pic, POST A PIC.

User avatar
4liters
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:05 am
Has liked: 6 times
Likes received: 643 times

Re: VRFish Oppose Proposed Commercial Increase in Port Phillip Bay

Post by 4liters » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:24 pm

cobby wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:42 pm
If you can't catch atleast 1 Snapper over 40cm almost every trip between mid October and Christmas in Port Phillip Bay then you're just a **** fisherman
8D3295DB-F8E6-4790-9ED5-AD762B4AE8A0.jpeg
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

User avatar
Laze
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:02 am
Has liked: 18 times
Likes received: 16 times

Re: VRFish Oppose Proposed Commercial Increase in Port Phillip Bay

Post by Laze » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:31 am

This thread blew up. Perhaps I should have done more research then my knee jerk reaction whilst half asleep on bed thinking the oceans are doomed :-D. It's clear everyone has their own opinions and they are well entitled to them. I'll stick by what I originally said, to me there is a lot more working against the ocean then working for it, if it can be less fished in the way of capitalism, the better. I am of the opinion that catching/processing your own fish is better as opposed to buying a feed of fish. Personally this gives me perspective and appreciation for what the waters provide. I don't own a boat, I don't have any commitments to catching fish to make a trip worth it. On the other hand I would welcome a reduction in recreational fishing limits or having slot sizes for critical species too. I'll eat more carbs and veggies :( . Bycatch is a tough one for both recreational and commercial, especially undersized fish that are gut or gill hooked and will die. Keeping the fish and eating it or utilising it would be what I would want to do but I can see how easily of a loophole that could be exploited. If it's going to die and it can be utilised, then fair game but if it can be avoided then it should be avoided. I'm all for eating less desirable species, if anyone knows where I can find an abundance of leather jackets land based, do tell, all I seem to catch are legal pinkies :dn: . As for research, I believe the statistics provided, but I would be cautious if there was no external inputs such as uni's/institutes doing their own research too. Regardless, I've got some research to do.

I'm also a big HIPPOCRITE as I like to catch and release which goes against everything I just said but I enjoy it and I try to do it with best intentions (don't use lead sinkers, mostly use 'biodegradable' lures).
Rock hopper, sand dragger, mud slinger.

User avatar
re-tyred
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:54 am
Location: Lakes Entrance
Has liked: 300 times
Likes received: 767 times

Re: VRFish Oppose Proposed Commercial Increase in Port Phillip Bay

Post by re-tyred » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:07 am

The problems with the oceans and fish stocks is the environment. Mostly Australia has been pretty good compared to many countries. We could be a lot better.
If you have a good habitat then you will have lots of creatures living there. A demonstration of this is PPB. There is no doubt in the 1960s and 70s the bay was being destroyed by scallop dredging and pollution. Once these issues were addressed the fish came back. Stock will vary due to cycles of climate and fish recruitment, but a healthy system will always attract fish. As long as science is used to control overall fish quotas/bag limits, then there always will be fish in a clean environment.
People who think that the less fish you catch will mean the more there will be are using flawed logic. The system has a maximum stock it can support. Fisheries science is well aware of this. Most fish stock recruitment models understand that maximum recruitment and growth of fish occurs when stocks are about 50% (this figure is variable) of the maximum. Recruitment is better and growth faster when the population is thinned.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

User avatar
bowl
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: Wyndham Vale
Has liked: 280 times
Likes received: 487 times

Re: VRFish Oppose Proposed Commercial Increase in Port Phillip Bay

Post by bowl » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:42 pm

cobby wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:42 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:57 pm
re-tyred wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:48 am
100,000 people participating in a snapper season. 4 kg of whole fish for the entire season =400 tonne
100,00 people release a 4kg snapper each and thats 400 tonne extra fish
I release majority of the fish I catch, but if I want to slaughter 20 x 4kg Snapper over the course of 2 months then that's my prerogative. Same applies if I want to bag out 2 or 3 times a week for 2 months.

Seriously, dictating to people that they can't keep fish to eat is stupid rubbish. The bay health and fish stocks within it have come on in leaps and bounds over the last 2 and a bit decades since coincidentally the scallop dredging industry was killed off. All whilst commercial net fishing was still allowed. If you can't catch atleast 1 Snapper over 40cm almost every trip between mid October and Christmas in Port Phillip Bay then you're just a **** fisherman
X2 :tu:
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

User avatar
bowl
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: Wyndham Vale
Has liked: 280 times
Likes received: 487 times

Re: VRFish Oppose Proposed Commercial Increase in Port Phillip Bay

Post by bowl » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:43 pm

4liters wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:24 pm
cobby wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:42 pm
If you can't catch atleast 1 Snapper over 40cm almost every trip between mid October and Christmas in Port Phillip Bay then you're just a **** fisherman
8D3295DB-F8E6-4790-9ED5-AD762B4AE8A0.jpeg
Spot on... :wt:
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Post Reply

Return to “VRFish (Victorian Recreational Fishing Peak-Body)”