Bayrock wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:33 pm
Garrick guys, related to giant trevally but not found in Australia
Great fish mate

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Re: Back from Angola

Post by Bayrock » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:01 pm

Left Melbourne on the 11th of July. Had 4 flights to catch to get to a destination on my fishing bucket list. Got on the Skybus in Frankston for Melbourne airport. From there flew to Perth and then to Johannesburg.
Stopped over for a night to catch up with family, had way too much great food, and laughter.

Next day met up with my old fishing mate Werner, 30 years of adventures together.

Departed Johannesburg for Windhoek in Namibia, then caught another flight to Lubango, western Angola.
Angola and South Africa have history, a war between a faction in Angola (backed by cuba) and South Africa in the 80's.
Angola had been a fishing dream of mine since I can remember, it has some of if not the best rock and surf fishing the world. For those wanting to drive from South Africa, it is about a 45hr journey by car.

View from the plane coming into Lubango

Last edited by Bayrock on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:03 pm

Lol the only green a soccer pitch. I remember the 80’s the war in Angola plenty of mercenaries fighting there. Pretty sure the movie wild geese was based on that.
Can’t wait to see more pictures cheers nude up

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:25 am

Bayrock wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:01 pm
Left Melbourne on the 11th of July. Had 4 flights to catch to get to a destination on my fishing bucket list. Got on the Skybus in Frankston for Melbourne airport. From there flew to Perth and then to Johannesburg.
Stopped over for a night to catch up with family, had way too much great food, and laughter.

Next day met up with my old fishing mate Werner, 30 years of adventures together.

Departed Johannesburg for Windhoek in Namibia, then caught another flight to Lubango, western Angola.
Angola and South Africa have history, a war between a faction in Angola (backed by cuba) and South Africa in the 80's.
Angola had been a fishing dream of mine since I can remember, it has some of if not the best rock and surf fishing the world. For those wanting to drive from South Africa, it is about a 45hr journey by car.

That’s a great pic!
Would have been an unbelievable trip!
Cheers :thumbsup:

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:55 pm

Why would you go all the way to Angola to fish ?? The one picture explains why (& of course family)
Magnificent fish
Can't wait for the full report
Cheers Gra
Dougiek is now saving hard

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:08 pm

Texas wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:55 pm

Dougiek is now saving hard
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:57 pm

Bayrock wrote:

Another taste of the story to come.
When we going to be amazed by the full report

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:38 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:57 pm
Bayrock wrote:

Another taste of the story to come.
When we going to be amazed by the full report
I really am looking forward to it :P

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:40 am

Arrived in Lubango around 2:30pm, nice airport but mostly empty

After I cleared customs it was 5pm and getting dark rapidly. I exchanged R3000 South African rands for 90000 Angolan Kwanzas and we left for supermarket to top up supplies. That done we had some take away and I took some snaps of the local Ovambo's - clay in their hair for decoration

We set on the drive to the coast, 4 hours on rough roads and the last 23km deflated tyres to get to base camp over a dry sandy riverbed.. the famous Flamingo Lodge. It was past 11 pm when we got to camp.. had some dinner and had proper introductions with the rest of the group. We were composed of 6 guys in the group and two guides in two SUV Toyota Fortuners

Went to bed tired but excited.. Tomorrow day one of 10 days fishing!
Last edited by Bayrock on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “The Rest of the World”