Travel Rods and Fishing tackle on aeroplanes.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Travel Rods and Fishing tackle on aeroplanes.

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:38 am

From memory I think Jetstar were alright on the way up with us however on the way back virgin charged us extra.

Expomnowcon
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Expomnowcon » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:43 am

Should be all fine mate, I flew to Oz from England in March with 4 rods and reels (/used line on the spools) and loads of lures/hooks and random terminal tackle bits and pieces, checked it in, declared it, no dramas

You can't take line and hooks in carry on luggage and will have to check it in, the only issue you might come across is contamination if you've used any of it somewhere dodgy I reckon

As mentioned before, make sure your packaging is sufficient enough, !!

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:09 am

Most airlines will have on the website that details max length for checked in luggage, and they will vary so a good place to start your query. The printed Info isn't subjective so stick to that and you will be fine. The subjectivity starts when you are trying for carry on luggage, as that varies with both check in staff and airport security. Sometimes they allow rods (within reason), sometimes they allow full reels, and others they request spool be removes or at least your fishing line. So if u can, make it more stress free and check everything in and not chance it carry on, just make sure they are well protected, and within the stated dimensions for all the airlines you will be taking.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:20 pm

I took 4 rods with me on a recent trip to North Queensland.

4 travel rods up to 70cm in length. All broken down and put in a single 150mm conduit with end caps. Put this in a large suitcase on the diagonal so it just fit. Packed the rest in with towels, tackle and other shite. Then packed my reels in the middle of my clothes suitcase with the handles off in a large sock each. Fully padded by my clothing.

No issue at all. You wouldn’t even know I had rods

I had a 603 tcurve tropical 5-8kg spin, tcurve 904 saltwater spin 6-10kg, tcurve Bluewater spun 76315-24kg and a daiwa gen Black 2-5kg 703

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:43 pm

I've done a few trips now and done exactly what ducky has done when traveling with travel rods. When using rods that don't pack down small enough for a suitcase they get put into a pvc pipe rod tube and checked seperately.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:52 pm

Put the fishing gear (no terminal tackle) in a guitar case. The airlines will allow you to bring them as carry on. :-)

Paulanderson
Has liked: 50 times

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:24 pm

Hi Smile yes you can take knives and scissors in your checked in baggage. Paul

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:55 pm

You may find the travel rod cases (tubes) in K-Mart at a reasonable price, I bought one from there and have used it twice when traveling overseas & to the mainland, never had a problem when checked in with the luggage.. they also have a carry strap on then & are good value for money..
Available at BCF & most tackle stores as well..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:13 pm

Tiger airlines travelling to Darwin picked up on my tackle box,so i wasn't allowed to take on board ,and there was no time to put them back in the car so they threw them out. Funny thing was they allowed my 3 stubby of VB through.I could see them threw the scanners.I was a bit confused,as a stubby can be a dangerous weapon.The 2 rods were no problem as they put a sticker on them,and my reels were separated from the rods as i did not want to risk damaging them.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Thanks for replies everyone. Great info shared here much appreciated.
Currently I am looking into possibly Saltiga heavy spin/popper or TCurve revolution travel rods which are better value for money.
Plenty of time to research requirements and decide on a destination.

Return to “The Rest of the World”