Kayak spot for beginners

berazafi

Re: Kayak spot for beginners

Post by berazafi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:08 pm

Nick tucker wrote:
berazafi wrote:I would try the left hand side (NW) of mordi peir, on a calm day. Although nothing in a yak is safe being there will make sure there are lots of people around and you are no more than 100ish meters from shore. Lots of salmon, squid and pinkies can be found there, sunrise/sunset your best chance of success.
Thanks mate il give it a crack cheers!!
Feel free to give me a shout if you are heading there, I am local and more than happy to come out for a few hours

Nick tucker

Post by Nick tucker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:16 pm

berazafi wrote:
Nick tucker wrote:
berazafi wrote:I would try the left hand side (NW) of mordi peir, on a calm day. Although nothing in a yak is safe being there will make sure there are lots of people around and you are no more than 100ish meters from shore. Lots of salmon, squid and pinkies can be found there, sunrise/sunset your best chance of success.
Thanks mate il give it a crack cheers!!
Feel free to give me a shout if you are heading there, I am local and more than happy to come out for a few hours
Sounds like a plan mate

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:50 pm

'Cheaterparts' is the man to listen to on this topic ;). He's got plenty of experience on a kayak and good advice.

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:44 am

Nick tucker wrote: Thanks cheater really helpfull! Yeah I'm right out in the sticks. But dont Mind the drive. By the sounds of it i think il be limited by my short yak,myt spend me weekend looking at new yaks, did you get ya kingfisher from a shop? Cheers pal
I bought my Kingfisher from the factory a few years ago when they were still made in OZ , they were made in Seaford.
Both back then and now are a very good value for money yak back then I paid $800 braid new with seat and paddle I dont think they cost much more today

A lot of the Vyak crowd ether have them or cut there teeth on them before moving to more exy units

check out http://www.wavedancekayaks.com.au/kayaks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there new address in in the contacts piece of there page

by the way there are other good yaks around the main thing is if you are using a kayak for open water it needs to be able to move along fairly quickly to cover distance
a lot are in that 3.8 to 4.2 meter lenths these on the whole track better ( faster and easier to paddle )

into a wind or tide flow this makes a huge difference , I myself am looking at a 4.7 meter yak now more to use as an off shore unit it would make a better yak going out side the bays
but would hang on to the kingfisher as a spare though
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Drifta-X

Post by Drifta-X » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:03 am

If your dead set on some salt with the tiny yak try around rosebud on a nice day.
Plenty of flathead in the shallow and if ya fall out u just stand up lol.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:55 am

Drifta-X wrote:If your dead set on some salt with the tiny yak try around rosebud on a nice day.
Plenty of flathead in the shallow and if ya fall out u just stand up lol.
It been a while since you've been out to Rob and chasing sewer rats around the mouth of the dandenong creek doesn't count -- chuckle

there are reds every where and gummies to - get with the program mate -- lol
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “The Rest of the World”