Protecting our GPS Marks and Fishing Spots from others

Markac

Re: Protecting our GPS Marks and Fishing Spots from others

Post by Markac » Sat May 04, 2019 9:01 am

bowl wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:59 pm
Mattblack wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:40 pm
have also heard of people taking mobile phones and recording the locations on charters
Guilty as charged your honour.....fk 'em, might as well get my money's worth
Yup stuff the charter operators.....had them anchor on top of me and do circle around me n my mates boats when i have been catching...
[/quote]

charters will often pinch your spot by using their radar. they can ping your position from a few hundred m away and you will never even know.

there is a well known boat dealer in Darwin who downloads your GPS waypoints without your knowledge 'to be able to restore them if your GPS unit fails'. yeah right!
remove the head when getting any work done

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Sat May 04, 2019 9:37 am

rb85 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:23 pm

Weekday or public holidays? I’m not going to go into details of locations but some spots on good days 10-20 boats working areas where previously there would be no one else occasionally 1-2 on weekends and it’s definitely not been a gradual increase strangely enough these areas have been published on a business page.
What I don’t understand is how people can be fishing your spot if like you said, you worked for all your own spots and have never told anyone else?

Unless of course they are just areas that inner circles knew about..... and now others know about.

I don’t have a huge issue with salt guide, they are just offering a service. Like anything in life, people pay you for what you know or what you can do better than them.

If you want to be a self made fisherman who did it all themselves.... that’s great.... but truth is not all of us have the time to be able to do it. Salt Guide or any service like it is thriving because people don’t have the time or knowledge to do it themselves. They have worked hard for their knowledge and they have every right to ask for a return on it. Unless of course they stole your GPS?

So...... So what? There are only so many fisherman on the water... if everyone is fishing spot x then there will be less pressure on spot xx.

You can always go and fish one of your own personal super dooper no one else has ever driven a boat over it spots if you are that concerned.

As we all know, there’s more to it than just a gps co-ordinate so trust in your skills and you should always come out on top either way.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat May 04, 2019 10:04 am

Your spot ...haha your spot was probably over a thousand other guys spot over the last 50 years or so in ppb or wp..
Land base you need to keep spots private...
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat May 04, 2019 10:37 am

Look let's face it. Theres is never a spot X thatsonly you know about.
It was always someone else's first before you found it. By accident or otherwise..

I have found spots myself that I never knew existed before in a way which i never thought until I started using sidescan. It was then that I realised why people were getting fish in the same area to me and I wasnt getting any.
I thought I was in the same area so why not .. but sidescan proved otherwise.

Sebb
Has liked: 3007 times

Post by Sebb » Sat May 04, 2019 10:46 am

In regards to fishing spots, even two exact same rods rigs baits etc next to each other at the same can have different results. That's when angling skills come in play on how to catch more than the others. The bay isn't expanding or shrinking, good chance that good spots are also known by other people.

I think the most concerning point here is GPS thievery. Crooks doing the wrong thing and we got to be careful.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sat May 04, 2019 11:24 am

Had anyone considered putting a gps tracker on a certain forum members boat to find his secret gummy spots in WPB?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat May 04, 2019 1:17 pm

Use your brain study the charts and work it out. Gummies are super easy to find.
Last edited by frozenpod on Sat May 04, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:30 pm

rb85 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:23 pm

Weekday or public holidays? I’m not going to go into details of locations but some spots on good days 10-20 boats working areas where previously there would be no one else occasionally 1-2 on weekends and it’s definitely not been a gradual increase strangely enough these areas have been published on a business page.
yepi'mon wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:37 am
What I don’t understand is how people can be fishing your spot if like you said, you worked for all your own spots and have never told anyone else?
Unless of course they are just areas that inner circles knew about..... and now others know about.
First of all Yepi I never claimed them to be my spots or claim ownership of any spots theres areas I fish and marks I use claim no ownership seems to be a slight misconception being created, i'm in no inner circle it's just locations that are lesser known yes others have fished them but not as heavily as recently and strangely enough the areas have been published by salt guide and increased boat traffic can put fish off. When you have put in the time and effort and expense to learn an area figure things out and have it publicised for profit and then get sheep driving around all over the shop it gets disheartening.
yepi'mon wrote:
I don’t have a huge issue with salt guide, they are just offering a service. Like anything in life, people pay you for what you know or what you can do better than them.
If you want to be a self made fisherman who did it all themselves.... that’s great.... but truth is not all of us have the time to be able to do it. Salt Guide or any service like it is thriving because people don’t have the time or knowledge to do it themselves. They have worked hard for their knowledge and they have every right to ask for a return on it. Unless of course they stole your GPS?
Have no problem with Salt Guide providing know how and general areas but pinpointing locations for people is disrespectful to everyone else who fishes and unethical. People learn from all sorts of publications so do I thats not the issue it's using your brain to catch fish not having it handed too on a platter some of these salt guiders are nothing more than human winches. It's not an issue of them working hard to find those areas it's that others have as well and have enjoyed it quietly for some time. It's not GPS theft rather exposure for profit that increases numbers on locations for people who have fished them for years.
yepi'mon wrote:
So...... So what? There are only so many fisherman on the water... if everyone is fishing spot x then there will be less pressure on spot xx.

You can always go and fish one of your own personal super dooper no one else has ever driven a boat over it spots if you are that concerned.

As we all know, there’s more to it than just a gps co-ordinate so trust in your skills and you should always come out on top either way.
You obviously spend hardly anytime on the water any good day the bay and offshore has a good spread of boats even more on weekends and public holidays. Not a problem it's when productive areas are bombarded.

Again with the misconceptions about ownership of super dooper spots as I have never suggested I own the water, it's hard work and putting in time and learning that gets rewards for passionate anglers. So when you have enjoyed quiet areas that are now getting bombarded with sheep guide subscribers you can't help but feel frustrated.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat May 04, 2019 10:03 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:46 am
In regards to fishing spots, even two exact same rods rigs baits etc next to each other at the same can have different results. That's when angling skills come in play on how to catch more than the others. The bay isn't expanding or shrinking, good chance that good spots are also known by other people.

I think the most concerning point here is GPS thievery. Crooks doing the wrong thing and we got to be careful.
Last year I got in the sweet spot on the boat and this spot was the only side of the boat that caught fish, an I wasn't giving it up ( my son would have jumped over my grave to get to it)

When it comes to catching trout in Lake Talbingo, I can tell you where they are at this time of year, but you need to know how to catch them!
Without the information, the other information is useless.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat May 04, 2019 10:04 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:24 am
Had anyone considered putting a gps tracker on a certain forum members boat to find his secret gummy spots in WPB?
Yep tempting it is

Return to “GPS Marks”