Rosebud West man arrested over alleged fisheries offences

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Rosebud West man arrested over alleged fisheries offences

Post by Brett » Tue May 14, 2013 12:22 pm

I hope he loses everything :shutup:

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/about-us/news ... s-offences" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Media release: Rosebud West man arrested over alleged fisheries offences
14 May 13
squid dpi.jpg
squid dpi.jpg (23.58 KiB) Viewed 639 times
A Rosebud West man has been arrested for exceeding the catch limit for squid and selling it to a retail outlet.
A 37-year-old Rosebud West man is facing a series of charges for exceeding the daily catch limit for squid and selling it to a local retail outlet.
The man was arrested at Dromana last week following a four month investigation in which Fisheries Officers allegedly detected him exceeding the daily catch limit for squid on a number of occasions near Sorrento.
Fisheries Officers also observed the man on several occasions concealing the squid in his jacket and selling his catch to the local retail outlet.
The man allegedly sold 7.6kg of squid and 5.8kg of flathead to the retail outlet. A number of the flathead were under the minimum legal size.
The man is to be charged on summons with a range of offences, including exceeding the daily bag limit, taking and possessing undersize fish, hindering or obstructing an Authorised Officer and selling his catch to a retail outlet without a commercial licence to do so.
The operator of the retail outlet is also facing charges in relation to purchasing the squid and fish.
Following the man's arrest, his vessel, fish, fishing equipment and a sum of cash were seized.
A search of his home also revealed a further 26.4kg of frozen squid in a chest freezer.
Recreational anglers caught selling their fish face fines of up to $14000 and/or six months imprisonment, forfeiture of equipment, boats and vehicles used in the offence and losing fishing privileges for a substantial period of time.
The daily catch limit for squid in Victoria is 10 per person. It is also an offence to attempt to hinder Fisheries Officers in the course of their duties by concealing any fish.
A commercial premises caught purchasing fish taken by a recreational angler can also face fines of up to $28,000 and/or 12 months imprisonment. They also face substantial penalties under food safety legislation.
Fisheries Victoria Acting Director of Education and Enforcement Ian Parks said Victoria's fisheries regulations governing the take of squid were in place to safeguard the fishery and those who ignored the law were jeopardizing the fishery's sustainability.
"Recreational anglers who illegally sell their catch to retail outlets are also threatening the livelihood of legitimate commercial fishers and creating food safety risks," Mr Parks said.
Anyone who sees or suspects illegal fishing is urged to call the 24-hour fisheries offence reporting line 13 FISH (13 3474).

snapperslayer

Re: Rosebud West man arrested over alleged fisheries offence

Post by snapperslayer » Tue May 14, 2013 12:45 pm

what jigs he used? on a serious note, I hope he gets it big time.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:57 pm

Unfortunately he will only get a couple of thousand dollars fine and conviction :down:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue May 14, 2013 1:03 pm

3k fine for the blokes who exceeded the snapper bag limit I think illegally selling the catch would and should cope a fair bit more.

muzza43
Has liked: 104 times

Post by muzza43 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:12 pm

I agree with Brett.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue May 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Brett wrote:I hope he loses everything :shutup:

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/about-us/news ... s-offences" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
X2 greedy :snorting: !

poppy62
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poppy62 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:35 pm

Brett wrote:I hope he loses everything :shutup:

I think every law abiding fisho would agree with you here. Unfortunately in society there will always be a low life piece of $%#%(*) that will have no regard for anyone else :(

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Tue May 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Finally they got him :)
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue May 14, 2013 2:15 pm

wow, the squid is on fire. Forget the greedy man. I am interested on his catch. :grin:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:26 pm

Good to see the Fisheries doing their job. Throw the book at the moron SET AN EXAMPLE (my opinion only)

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”