Proposed changes to NSW fishing regs.

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
Rod Bender

Proposed changes to NSW fishing regs.

Post by Rod Bender » Wed May 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi All,
For those that fish the Murray or other NSW waters - it is worth having a look at this!

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/rec ... nfo/review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above link contains another link to the discussion paper.

Proposed changes to Cod bag limits including a '80cm plus cod have to be released' rule. One cod allowed to be kept in 'closed season' from designated impoundments.
Shrimp caught in yabby traps and yabbies caught in shrimp traps can be kept under proposed changes! Apparently if you catch a shrimp in a yabbie trap or vice versa now it has to be released. Figure that one out :doh1:
Reduced bag limit on trout.
And last but not least.....wait for it....'bow fishing' for carp to be allowed in some waters! I hope people who 'bow fish' have to sit a fish ID test :)
Heaps proposed for saltwater as well.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Proposed changes to NSW fishing regs.

Post by barra mick » Wed May 08, 2013 5:00 pm

The 80cm cod rule is a good idea.

i was on a panel last year and i argued hard and fast to bring this rule into vic waters

you dont see the benifit straight away but in a few years everybody is catching heaps more cod and less carp

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Wed May 08, 2013 5:06 pm

The more big cod left in the water the better. I think they should go one better and make it only 1 cod limit.

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed May 08, 2013 5:08 pm

Boonanza wrote:The more big cod left in the water the better. I think they should go one better and make it only 1 cod limit.

Cheers Steve
That is proposed also!

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Wed May 08, 2013 5:13 pm

I hope it is introduced because honestly to catch one of these magnificent fish is great and to keep one to eat is fine also if you want but I would love to see all our grandkids to catch a cod as well and not just hear about the good old days like we do. They aren't the best eating fish anyway I'd much rather a few reddies to eat eat than a cod.

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

5ubzero

Post by 5ubzero » Wed May 08, 2013 5:28 pm

barra mick wrote:The 80cm cod rule is a good idea.

i was on a panel last year and i argued hard and fast to bring this rule into vic waters

you dont see the benifit straight away but in a few years everybody is catching heaps more cod and less carp

Bm
stil goijng to be the same. your til going to be pulling out 1bilion carp to 1 cod.

GummySlayer

Post by GummySlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 5:58 pm

I love the proposed cod rule.
The big ladys should always be sent back to breed!

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed May 08, 2013 7:16 pm

5ubzero wrote:

Bm
stil goijng to be the same. your til going to be pulling out 1bilion carp to 1 cod.
I believe having some more of the larger 'carp munching' cod models in the water may have an effect on the carp. Can't have any negative effect anyway. More breeding also leading to more larger carp munching models in the future! :D I went for a long period without chasing natives and I believe the cod did get on top of the carp to some extent. Unfortunately my return to chasing natives coincided with floods which let the carp get on top again.
thanks
Jim

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu May 09, 2013 1:16 am

5ubzero wrote:

Bm

I disagree there

I live on the river between shep and Echuca and in the early 90s there was a fair amount of carp but slowly with the introduction of releasing of the cod they slowly eat the carp and by2001/02 we mostly caught cod and yellowbelly,from 2004 up until the floods 10 months ago it was very rare for us to catch a carp.

once the cod get big again they can reduce the carp population down very quickly but the cod has to reach that 10 pd mark plus to start eating carp on a regular basis

this year ive just started to catch little cod again but if we fast forward years and there will be some nice fish around again...

well touch wood !!

cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu May 09, 2013 8:08 am

5ubzero wrote:
still going to be the same. your stil going to be pulling out 1billion carp to 1 cod.
don't know about that I still can't catch a carp the endangered species like silver perch and trout cod keep beating them to my baits
or thats how it seamed last trip to NSW waters

for the salt heads it looks like they also wont to knock back the King fish take from 5 to 2 that may effect those that head over the border to chase them
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”