Divers fined for taking rock lobster with spear guns

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 389 times

Divers fined for taking rock lobster with spear guns

Post by fishingvic » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:43 pm

Media release: Divers fined for taking rock lobster with spear guns
27 Mar 13
Source: http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/about-us/news ... spear-guns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dp.jpg
dp.jpg (26.95 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
Don't take rock lobster with a spear gun

Two Warrnambool men were fined $1,000 each in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court last week after pleading guilty to using hand spears to take local rock lobster and other fisheries offences late last year.
On November 20 last year, the two accused, aged 24 and 25 respectively, were observed snorkelling together near Thunder Point, Warrnambool.
They were observed and photographed by Fisheries Officers as they took a number of rock lobster together using a hand spear and placing them in a bag hidden in among the rocks.
After about an hour the two men packed up their catch, changed out of their wetsuits and returned to the car park where upon they were intercepted by the Fisheries Officers.
Senior Fisheries Officer Ian Westhorpe told the court that the Officers found a total of six rock lobsters, of which all but one were undersize, the smallest female only measuring 77mm instead of the required 105mm.
The smallest male rock lobster only measured 81mm instead of the required 110mm.
The men also pleaded guilty to exceeding the daily bag limit of two and failing to have a current Recreational Fishing License.
Both men represented themselves and in their plea to Magistrate Klestadt claimed that they had 'no idea' about the size and catch limits and the ban on using spears to take rock lobsters.
Mr Klestadt told the accused that their excuses were not convincing as they had both held Recreational Fishing Licenses in the past.
The men were fined $1000 each without conviction and ordered to pay statutory costs of $86 each. Mr Klestadt also ordered their seized diving equipment be forfeited.
In a separate matter, on the same day in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court, an 18-year-old man from Melton West was also fined $750 without conviction after pleading guilty to using prohibited equipment in the form of a spear gun to take rock lobster.
Mr Westhorpe told the court that on November 18 last year, just west of Port Fairy, the man was inspected by Fisheries Officers as he returned to his vehicle.
The inspection revealed two rock lobsters that showed signs of being speared by a spear gun.
Three more frozen rock lobster were discovered in a portable ice chest and the man admitted that they had also been taken by spear over the previous two days.
Mr Westhorpe said the accused made full admissions and was co-operative. There were no other charges.

Anyone who sees or suspects illegal fishing activity is urged to contact the 24-hour fisheries offence reporting line 13 FISH (13 3474).

Fish-Hunter

Re: Divers fined for taking rock lobster with spear guns

Post by Fish-Hunter » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:50 pm

Do the crime , pay the fine .

GummySlayer

Post by GummySlayer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:16 pm

Good to hear.

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:52 pm

Has Vinhii been at it again?? :-)
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Milk man

Post by Milk man » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:19 pm

What's with these sort of people recently that are only getting a slap on the wrist for illegal fishing activities!? :x
M.I.L.F- Man I Love To Fish!

MattypVic

Post by MattypVic » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:54 pm

Not harsh enough in my opinion, ignorance is no excuse and If they had held fishing licenses before would of known the catch limits and sizes.
A $1000 fine is nothing they probably just put it on payment plan and pay $10 a week.
I think these people should be banned from any fishing for at least 12 months and if caught fishing again face a $10000 fine or something along these lines.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:18 pm

lol nice,.. and no raco i dont wear homo fluro goggles hahaha
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

rixter

Post by rixter » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:48 pm

vinhii wrote:lol nice,.. and no raco i dont wear homo fluro goggles hahaha
lol , don't worry !, homo fluro goggles wil be back in fashion again some day, more than likely !.
Just don't get caught wearing them again until that trend comes back in! :icon_lolz: ..lol

A 12 month ban would be better than any fine imo at least , and if caught during that period again then slap a $10,000 fine and another 5 year ban :D.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:00 pm

Hahahaha rick ..

IT WASNT ME! I SWEAR I DIDNT DO IT LOL
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

rixter

Post by rixter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:06 am

vinhii wrote:Hahahaha rick ..

IT WASNT ME! I SWEAR I DIDNT DO IT LOL
lol, oh yeah , so that's why your selling all your gear - to pay the fine !.. lol

( joking ;) ) :icon_lolz:
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”