HAVE YOUR SAY ON GIPPSLAND LAKES OYSTER TRIAL

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 389 times

Post by fishingvic » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:16 am

Media release

Thursday 16 December 2021

People who live, work and play in the Gippsland Lakes are being encouraged to complete a short online survey to share their views on the native oyster aquaculture trial, set to commence next year.

Victorian Fisheries Authority (VFA) CEO Travis Dowling said the trial is a partnership with the Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation (GLaWAC) to grow Sydney rock and Angasi oysters, both of which are abundant and native to the Gippsland Lakes system.

“This could see Victorian-grown Sydney rock oysters back on the menu for seafood consumers, which would be a huge win for the state,” Mr Dowling said.

“The trial will assess the viability, growth rates and eating qualities of the two species at five sites around Flannagans and Rigbys islands, west of Lakes Entrance.

“A native oyster industry in the Gippsland Lakes would create jobs for Gunaikurnai, support regional tourism and supply fresh, local and sustainable seafood.

“The Gunaikurnai have a strong interest in a native shellfish industry whereby its people can work on Country and maintain a meaningful connection to land and water.

“Existing oyster aquaculture interstate is worth more than $100 million, so if the trial is successful and permanent oyster farming becomes established, it could lead to significant economic prosperity for towns around the Gippsland Lakes.

“Oyster aquaculture isn’t new to Victoria with Angasi oysters are already grown by several licensed farmers closer to Melbourne in Port Phillip and Western Port.”

Mr Dowling said the online survey contains only nine questions and should take less than two minutes to complete.

“The survey results will give VFA fisheries managers and GLaWAC a much greater understanding of existing user groups, what they value most about the areas in and around the sites, and how their interests align with an oyster growing trial.

“The survey is open until close of business 16 January 2022 and can be completed at www.surveymonkey.com/r/GippsOysters.

Questions about the survey and feedback on the oyster trial can also be directed to haveyoursay@vfa.vic.gov.au or by calling 03 9658 4737.

Media contact: Amelia Elliston 0437 801 068

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: HAVE YOUR SAY ON GIPPSLAND LAKES OYSTER TRIAL

Post by 4liters » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:05 pm

They do a lot of this in similar lakes in NSW, has there been any issues arising from that?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

re-tyred
Has liked: 376 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:14 pm

Oysters have been farmed in the Gippsland lakes before. They went well for a while. Very wet years killed them off a few times. Personally I think oyster farms are great fish habitat. I hope they are successful
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:34 pm

I could eat my body weight of them ! in NSW oyster farms they hold heaps of bream, best place to fish for them... first stop we make when sounding around.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:37 pm

Had a few oysters with my partner at Dinner its a fair bet Lakes can expect a Baby Boom or should I say Bogan Boom....
re-tyred wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:14 pm
Oysters have been farmed in the Gippsland lakes before. They went well for a while. Very wet years killed them off a few times. Personally I think oyster farms are great fish habitat. I hope they are successful

On a serious note did it help water quality at all ReTyred
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:57 am

4liters wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:05 pm
They do a lot of this in similar lakes in NSW, has there been any issues arising from that?
I've snorkelled around the ones in Merimbula (looking back i'm surprised i didn't have shots fired at me) and there were heaps of big bream, luderick and sting rays hanging around them in only a couple foot of water. Wouldn't surprise me if Mulloway and sharks cruise through at night as well looking for an easy feed.

Definitely a great habitat for marine life. Not sure whether the oyster farms draw the fish away from their usual habitat though.

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:19 am

I would imagine the fluctuating fresh water levels would be a risk for the lease owners.

Longbombs
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Longbombs » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:38 am

re-tyred wrote:
With ever-increasing salinity levels in the system, I'd say this will become less of a problem as time goes on.

Though with more intense weather patterns (like rain events) occurring every year, this might still be an issue.

I can see it being a more boom/bust cycle with acute high salinity/dry periods and acute flood periods.

And from the regulatory perspective, It seems the main issue will be how oyster producers deal with oyster quality and contamination in an ecosystem with high agriculture and dairy farm runoff.

Filter feeders are notorious for becoming an unsellable product in even marginally contaminated water sources. Not to mention the post-processing risks.

I hope they get passed because I get around aquaculture, especially filter feeders. I just hope they set a limit to how high up they can grow them.

re-tyred
Has liked: 376 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:42 am

rb85 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:37 pm
Had a few oysters with my partner at Dinner its a fair bet Lakes can expect a Baby Boom or should I say Bogan Boom....
re-tyred wrote:

On a serious note did it help water quality at all ReTyred
Well the situation was different in the 1970s . The bar wasn't dredged, the Thomson wasn't dammed, and Pecks operated a fish paste factory on Bullock Island. Fishing around the town was pretty good. During dry years the bar would slowly shallow up. Then when a flood came the water levels would rise rapidly flooding the town's around the lakes. The high water levels would cause a massive run out through the entrance. This would cut a new channel and the lake levels would drop. If this all happened quickly the Oysters would survive. If however we just had a rainy year after a drought then the salinity would drop, the deep channel wouldn't form and the oysters would die. Water quality was quite poor in the wet years. The combination of Pecks factory and higher flows from the rivers meant the water was pea soup at times. I don't think there was ever enough oysters to filter much crud out. This time we have a much cleaner system around this end of the lake.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:22 am

Sounds like a great idea, oystesr do a lot to clean up the water from alage, I don't know if they clean up other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N39nPt7k3p0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvR0RIZd8HU

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”