A New St Kilda Pier Is Coming Soon

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:40 am

Media contact: Isobel Loschiavo 0431 963 479 | isobel.loschiavo@minstaff.vic.gov.au Wednesday, 17 November 2021

A NEW ST KILDA PIER IS COMING SOON

Work on the new St Kilda Pier will soon begin with the appointment of the lead construction partner following a
two-stage public tender process. Minister for Ports and Freight Melissa Horne today announced Simpson Constructions would complete the $53
million St Kilda Pier Redevelopment project with off-site works starting shortly. Construction alongside the existing St Kilda Pier is scheduled to start in early 2022, with the new pier due to be
completed by early 2024. Featuring a spectacular curved design showcasing a wider and more accessible walkway, tiered seating, additional
toilets, and a new community space near the kiosk, the new look pier will ensure more people can enjoy one of
Melbourne's most popular locations. The redevelopment will also provide better views over the city, while also better protecting the famous St Kilda
penguin colony with a new viewing platform forming part of the design. The new design sees the pier extended approximately 450 metres from the shore to the breakwater, and a low
landing constructed near the foreshore, providing easier access for passengers to ferry and tour operator vessels. The Andrews Labor Government has allocated an additional $3 million in funding to the project for further works
to improve the integration of the pier with the foreshore, enhancing the visitor experience. This integration
complements the partnership between Parks Victoria and the City of Port Phillip to revitalise the St Kilda foreshore
precinct. Once complete, the works will create an iconic visitor entrance to the pier and provide a better connection between
the Catani Gardens and vibrant St Kilda neighbourhood. St Kilda’s famous colony of Little Penguins will be monitored and cared for by Parks Victoria and Earthcare
throughout construction. Penguins will be viewed safely from a distance while ensuring they can move freely
without the current intrusions. The existing pier will remain open as often as possible during construction before closing for removal in 2024. For
more design images and to sign up for the latest email updates, visit parks.vic.gov.au.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Ports and Freight Melissa Horne
"St Kilda Pier is an iconic part of Melbourne's history and has played a key role in the city for many years. That's why
we're investing in celebrating its past and ensuring this important facility continues to serve the community for
many more years to come."
"The tender process attracted keen interest from high calibre marine and civil contractors, and we look forward to
seeing this project takes shape, through the work of Simpson Constructions."

Media contact: Isobel Loschiavo 0431 963 479 | isobel.loschiavo@minstaff.vic.gov.au
Quotes attributable to Member for Albert Park Martin Foley
"After talking to local community users about how the new pier will look and operate, it's exciting to see the pieces
come together to transform St Kilda's waterfront for greater community use." "The new pier will make St Kilda an even more important venue as we build our post-COVID comeback for locals and
tourists alike. It will also provide improved access and facilities for recreational and licensed tour operator activities
including boating, fishing and penguin viewing."
Quote attributable to Mayor of City of Port Phillip Louise Crawford
“Port Philip Council is proud to be partnering with the Victorian Government to provide a welcoming connection
from the foreshore to the new St Kilda Pier for visitors and our community to enjoy.”

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: A New St Kilda Pier Is Coming Soon

Post by hornet » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:50 am

Click image to view large pictures.. :)

He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: A New St Kilda Pier Is Coming Soon

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:35 pm

I bet the rock wall will be closed before the viewing deck.....less fishing area.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”