CATCH A NEW CAREER AS A FISHERIES OFFICER

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: CATCH A NEW CAREER AS A FISHERIES OFFICER

Post by ducky » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:48 am

Good on them for wanting to do targeted hiring for what is a pretty big problem to overcome, that being the language barrier that exists that really prohibits good communication and training of what is a pretty large number of fishos.

Not to mention, more fisheries officers can only be a good thing. Yet to have a bad experience with one.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:00 am

ducky wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:48 am
Good on them for wanting to do targeted hiring for what is a pretty big problem to overcome, that being the language barrier that exists that really prohibits good communication and training of what is a pretty large number of fishos.

Not to mention, more fisheries officers can only be a good thing. Yet to have a bad experience with one.
I agree it’s important to have a culturally diverse workforce in this field. Just disagree with the way fisheries said people of certain backgrounds will take precedence.

“Those applicants will be given priority consideration in the recruitment process as part of the Special Measures provision of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010.”

Just get your targeted employees without stating or justifying it...
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:21 am

I feel that recruiting towards targeted demographics is a great way of achieving representation and cultural diversity which has always been a struggle in many hands-on government roles. Applications for the Fisheries in recent years has become very competitive with the limited number of roles offered every few years.

I think that greater representation of all cultures and non-English speaking background applicants is an incredible thing, the fishing community in Victoria is incredibly diverse and the better Fisheries can represent and support that, the greater overall quality of services they can provide.

@Blackrockoy. I can share some advice, I actually applied for a FO role last year and went through the interview process, before getting accepted. I ended up turning down the role because I was offered a position at another department that was just too good. I also have a few friends who are FO's throughout Vic, mainly on Barwon South West.

The greatest advice I have for these style of applications and interviews is to use them as an opportunity to highlight your personal character, explain why you'd be a good fit for the role and show your experience by talking to career achievements and community contributions. I couldn't speak highly enough of using a STAR model of responses, and taking that time to not just explain, but show them why you'd be a great fit for the role. A Fisheries Officer role is such a hands on role where first impressions are key, it is all about the community interaction, so I'd 100% talk to an experience where you'd had to engage with the greater community. Volunteer work is always good on a CV too, all Gov roles love that. Happy to talk more, welcome to shoot me a pm.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Blackrockboy

Post by Blackrockboy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:47 pm

Hi Andrews,

thanks for the reply mate. Ive sent you a PM.

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”