Fishing licence fee changes to boost investment

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 389 times

Post by fishingvic » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:19 am

Media Release
Wednesday 15 June 2016 | Media contact: Nick Foster 8392 6254
www.vic.gov.au/fisheries

Changes to Victoria’s recreational fishing licensing system, effective from 1 July, will increase investment in projects that improve fishing opportunities.
Fisheries Victoria Executive Director, Travis Dowling, said the changes included a rise in the price of fishing licences with every extra cent raised to be spent on projects that benefit recreational fishing.
“These projects complement the State Government’s Target One Million plan, which aims to get more people fishing, more often,” Mr Dowling said. “The extra revenue generated by these licensing changes will boost investment meaning more fish stocking, more improvements to angler access and facilities, and more community fishing events where newcomers can come and try this popular pastime.
“Recreational fishing licence fees have not increased since 2008.
“From 1 July 2016, the two-day licence will be replaced by a three-day licence for $10 and the 28-day licence will cost $20.
“A one-year fishing licence will cost $35 and a three-year licence will cost $95.
“If purchased online, the one and three year licences will be discounted to $33 and $90 respectively and anglers will continue to receive a plastic licence in the mail, as they have since November 2015 when plastic licences were introduced.
“There will be no changes to exemptions and children under 18 will continue to fish for free.” Mr Dowling said wetting a line with family and friends was good for physical and mental health and got people active in Victoria’s great outdoors.
“That’s why we’ll continue to invest fishing licence fees into worthwhile projects that really make a difference to fishing opportunities, whether that’s in Port Phillip Bay, Lake Eildon or an East Gippsland estuary.”
Learn more about fishing licences, or buy one online, at www.vic.gov.au/fishinglicence

fishpod

Re: Fishing licence fee changes to boost investment

Post by fishpod » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:38 am

Absolute rip off, they wont use the extra money for fishing, it will just go into revenue. They have had years to upgrade our piers and boat ramps or even build new one's but everything seems to take forever :down:

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:03 pm

Great,means we would now be able to catch more fish.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:11 pm

fishpod wrote:They have had years to upgrade our piers and boat ramps or even build new one's but everything seems to take forever :down:
i believe boat ramps are looked aftre by councils. im not sure if the piers are also councils responsibility.
so fisheries are not spending on them at all

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:35 pm

fishpod wrote:Absolute rip off, they wont use the extra money for fishing, it will just go into revenue. They have had years to upgrade our piers and boat ramps or even build new one's but everything seems to take forever :down:
I had 3months left on my current licence but I renewed it for 3 years yesterday for $66 if you want to beat the price rise for a few years.

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:53 pm

If all fishos renewed there fishing licence for 3 years by 30-06-16 that may mean that they will not be able to go ahead with there full proposals as planed,am i right or is there still a back up of funds.Or may this be just a good injection of money.

sarsi

Post by sarsi » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:46 pm

:( :( That's an increase of roughly 37% for the 3 year-licence (from $66 to $90) for online purchase or 44% (from $66 to $95) otherwise!!! Let's see if the number of projects would increase by that much too! :oops: :oops:

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:05 pm

Apart from Mornington pier I haven't seen any improvements or enlarging to any piers in port Phillip Bay, the salt water shore based fisho seems to be the neglected one from what I have noticed.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:30 pm

hornet wrote:Apart from Mornington pier I haven't seen any improvements or enlarging to any piers in port Phillip Bay, the salt water shore based fisho seems to be the neglected one from what I have noticed.
There was extensive work taken out on Rosebud pier, to replace rotten sections. It was closed for a few months last year.
The work on Flinders a cpl of yrs ago also.

Weren't there also a cpl of piers damaged in storms that were repaired also, around Brighton area. I know it was towards the city from here, but cant remember where.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:39 pm

That is general maintenance, I'm talking about improvements for the fisho like new piers or enlarging piers, back in the day the bay piers were longer and wider, as they rotted they were shortened not repaired, I have pictures of the bay piers when they were much bigger, I want to see them restored to their former glory when they catered for more anglers than they do now.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”