PB roach

User avatar
Boonanza
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:31 pm
Location: Gone Fishing
Has liked: 253 times
Likes received: 203 times

Re: PB roach

Post by Boonanza » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:57 am

GregExplores wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:50 am
Anyone know if there are any Roach in Darebin Creek or the Merri creek?
I'm sure there would be. I know there are heaps of Roach in the plenty river around Greensborough. I normally found there were better numbers of them around where there drains are and some faster water.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

User avatar
GregExplores
Rank: Cephalopod
Rank: Cephalopod
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:26 pm
Has liked: 67 times
Likes received: 9 times

Re: PB roach

Post by GregExplores » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:34 pm

Boonanza wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:57 am
GregExplores wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:50 am
Anyone know if there are any Roach in Darebin Creek or the Merri creek?
I'm sure there would be. I know there are heaps of Roach in the plenty river around Greensborough. I normally found there were better numbers of them around where there drains are and some faster water.
Thanks for the info mate, I have tried the merri creek but all I have seen is carp and even those are hard for me to catch haha. The Darebin creek looks pretty nice and the water is usually pretty clear from what I have seen so maybe that would be a good place to try. I'll let you know how i go! :gj:

User avatar
hornet
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Melbourne
Has liked: 92 times
Likes received: 198 times

Re: PB roach

Post by hornet » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:38 am

GregExplores wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:50 am
Anyone know if there are any Roach in Darebin Creek or the Merri creek?
I used to catch roach down stream of the Coburg lake water fall all the way around to the back of the Coburg pool.
This was in the 70's, no idea what it's like now.

User avatar
GregExplores
Rank: Cephalopod
Rank: Cephalopod
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:26 pm
Has liked: 67 times
Likes received: 9 times

Re: PB roach

Post by GregExplores » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:26 pm

hornet wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:38 am
GregExplores wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:50 am
Anyone know if there are any Roach in Darebin Creek or the Merri creek?
I used to catch roach down stream of the Coburg lake water fall all the way around to the back of the Coburg pool.
This was in the 70's, no idea what it's like now.
Awesome, thats only about a ten minutes walk from me! Been there a couple of times but never though there would be roach. Only thing i have caught down there is an eel. What baits did you use back then, just some unweighted worms?

User avatar
hornet
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Melbourne
Has liked: 92 times
Likes received: 198 times

Re: PB roach

Post by hornet » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:48 pm

GregExplores wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:26 pm
hornet wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:38 am
GregExplores wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:50 am
Anyone know if there are any Roach in Darebin Creek or the Merri creek?
I used to catch roach down stream of the Coburg lake water fall all the way around to the back of the Coburg pool.
This was in the 70's, no idea what it's like now.
Awesome, thats only about a ten minutes walk from me! Been there a couple of times but never though there would be roach. Only thing i have caught down there is an eel. What baits did you use back then, just some unweighted worms?
All we used back in the day was a few slices of bread, pinch a soft bit in the middle and roll it between the fingers till it was like dough, then put it on a garfish size hook under a float about a foot to afoot and a half ? then send it off in the current. You may have to experiment with the depth.

User avatar
GregExplores
Rank: Cephalopod
Rank: Cephalopod
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:26 pm
Has liked: 67 times
Likes received: 9 times

Re: PB roach

Post by GregExplores » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:38 pm

hornet wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:48 pm
GregExplores wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:26 pm
hornet wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:38 am
GregExplores wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:50 am
Anyone know if there are any Roach in Darebin Creek or the Merri creek?
I used to catch roach down stream of the Coburg lake water fall all the way around to the back of the Coburg pool.
This was in the 70's, no idea what it's like now.
Awesome, thats only about a ten minutes walk from me! Been there a couple of times but never though there would be roach. Only thing i have caught down there is an eel. What baits did you use back then, just some unweighted worms?
All we used back in the day was a few slices of bread, pinch a soft bit in the middle and roll it between the fingers till it was like dough, then put it on a garfish size hook under a float about a foot to afoot and a half ? then send it off in the current. You may have to experiment with the depth.
Thats awesome, I'll give it a try and let you know how I go. It would be cool if I could get onto some roach because the only fish species I have caught close to home are eels :tu:

User avatar
GregExplores
Rank: Cephalopod
Rank: Cephalopod
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:26 pm
Has liked: 67 times
Likes received: 9 times

Re: PB roach

Post by GregExplores » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:29 pm

Anybody know if you are allowed to fish in Jack Roper reserve? You guys reckon there are redfin in there? I bough a freshwater fishing guide by the afn and it said there are reddies in jack roper reserve and also in Edwardes lake. Anyone tried the creek next to edwards lake and have you ever seen any reddies around?

Post Reply

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”