Failure leads to success

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Failure leads to success

Post by rb85 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:13 pm

bowl wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:52 pm
rb85 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:25 pm
bowl wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:17 pm
rb85 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:44 pm
bowl wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:46 pm

Yup agree,can't knock people for using a resource ect guide on your boat or salt guide.
Fishing means different things for different people imo
Learning can come from many different sources but I don’t think people should be spoon fed.

I don’t use salt guide or any other subscription services therefore I don’t cheat
Yet your happy to use a fishing forum and anybody who users facebook or any other social media people would consider that being spoon fed ... Or some people would consider that cheating...
There’s a big difference a lot of the advice here and on Facebook is general no GPS marks etc.
Justify however ya like ,your still getting spoon feed a lot of info imo
Ask any 60 yr old how they feel about social media and how they went about finding fish with crap/ or no sounder n no gps ect back in the day.
Anybody who use's social media has advantage...imo

I have got areas to fish n gps of Facebook before ,so I dispute claim ya cant get free gps marks of facebook or social media

Screenshot_20210116-175012.png
I see nothing wrong with using social media as helping tool.
I don’t search online or Facebook for GPS marks at all. Yeah I use my sounder and charts then use my own knowledge and learnt experience to work out where I think the best places to fish are. Yes I’ve had help and info passed onto me read magazine articles etc but hardly used anything close to cheat guide or the like.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:44 pm

Gps spots are putrid.
Mine are awesome

I take more appreciation in finding my own spot away from all the clowns. Get more fish too.

Same as clowns on forums. They leave, normal local reporters come back too

beefy

Post by beefy » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:46 am

crumpet_avenger wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:44 pm
I take more appreciation in finding my own spot away from all the clowns. Get more fish too.
That's along the lines of what I'm working on.
I often wonder when I see a bunch of boats all in one spot, are the fish actually there, or did the herd mentality cause the congregation.

I'm reading the user manual for my side imaging sonar again and again. I plan on spending quite a few hours scanning the seabed of Westernport, recording to SD card for later viewing at home, and creating potentially good waypoints.

I'm sure in time I'll start to see a pattern emerging - type of terrain, tide state, depth, time of day, date, etc, etc, and I'll slowly get to be a better fish catcher, and base my fishing location on my own knowledge.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:08 am

Beefy
Best spend time on water -Dont worry about side scan stuff or other junk on the sounder
Find your own spots and then mark them.
I try to keep away from the herd umless I see a local fishing near.Then I might try
Try Whiting shallow in mornin and when sun rises fish deeper
Dont get too involved in electronic stuff-GPS and Depth is all you need.
Cheers

Longbombs
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Longbombs » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:12 am

rb85 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:22 pm
Robbie1950 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:07 pm
rb85 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:00 pm
This is no report, this isn’t a self appreciation post just my thoughts and reflection on life on the water and off.

If it wasn’t for donut sessions where others bagged or losing the prized catch due to dodgy knots, lack of experience run of bad luck we wouldn’t get satisfaction from our fishing success without hours upon hours of frustration and disappointment.

Fresh and inshore I have found success but with Bluewater I have struggled but it hasn’t beaten me it’s cost me thousands in fuel and hours of time but I refuse to let it beat me.

I’ve had glimpses of success but nothing that I would consider successful but I’m getting there stubborn in my approach I won’t go to Portland to catch tuna yet, I refuse to cheat with salt guide as an angler I’m honing my skills refining my technique trip after trip solo offshore trips are tough but I’m on my own journey.

WTF Is team CBFT waffling on about? It’s the fact that good fisherman are developed by time on the water and their failures help them improve guys like Denis Bardon don’t have the whiting dialed by sitting on the couch. Don’t sulk about your failures just means your closer to success
Couple beers tonight? :ch: I feel ya mate. Salt guide, Matt Cini, even your mate TB2F is starting a members section on his website :rf: . Nothing beats time and experience on the water, no passed on GPS marks can come even close.
No hardly a drop if you subscribe tou are less of a fisherman.
Bit harsh.

Cooking shows help us become better cooks.

Online courses help us learn/improve on skills.

Nothing wrong with learning from others.

And if someone's willing to pay for it, why not leverage that?

They're sharing knowledge and they want money for it.

A teacher gets paid money - few would teach if it didn't pay.

Some people would rather pay a monthly subscription for GPS marks and their content.

Others prefer not to.

I don't use them either, but doesn't make you less of a fish if you watch them.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:31 am

How to catch fish 101:
Put fish gear in water.

You don't need fancy gear, you just need rigs that suit your target. Use a few different rigs at the same time.
Use different baits at the same time.
Learn what fish like what sort of bottom structure.
E.g flathead, mud and sand. Whiting sandy gravely areas with patches of weed. Snapper rock bottom. If there are banks and drop off in your area, always give them a try.
When you get fish. Think about time of day , tide, current flow, time of year, moon up or down , full or new.
When cleaning fish, study the mouth shape and gut content. Present a bait similar to what they eat on a suitable hook for their mouth.
Drift for flathead, tow lures for salmon and other pelagics. Anchor the rest of the time.
Roam around a lot but don't move miles each time. Sometimes when fishing whiting and snapper, 20-50 mtrs makes a huge difference.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:45 am

Catching fish 102: buy pre-made rigs when first starting out. (I still do).
A flexible rod will hook up more fish that a stiff one.
Lighter gear fishes better, till you get so light the gear doesn't get to the bottom because of tide or drift. Or you get busted off all the time. Super light gear is for super experienced fishers.
Don't hit the rod up as soon as you get a bite. Sometimes I give them a bit of slack so they get the hook in their mouth. Then I give a flick and a wind, if you feel the weight come on the a vigorous lift and wind to hook them up, then never let the line go slack, but don't try and skull drag them in.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:30 pm

Well said re-tyred :tu:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

beefy

Post by beefy » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:57 am

About the paying for knowledge thing. I've paid money for knowledge quite a few times. It's scary how much time in my life has been spent on finding knowledge. You can spend a week searching to find one single bit of info (I'm stubborn and determined enough to have often done that, maybe I'm just dumb). So I agree that paying for knowledge can be a very cost and time effective thing to do.

Back to the fishing, some great info here for us useless fishos, thanks.

Now regarding the GPS/sounders, surely they are a helpful tool in your fishing box arsenal. I mean I can't tell what sort of structure is on the bottom if I can't see to the bottom. From the Youtube videos I've watched and forum threads it seems many use them quite regularly for finding new potential locations. A reef is a typical example, they side-scan to get a good large area view of the seabed, then when finding some reef they mark waypoints around the perimeter of the reef, and that's where they fish. Likewise for drop-offs, holes, sandy patches between weeds, etc.

Isn't the alternative just dropping your line over the side and hoping for the best.

beefy

Post by beefy » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:06 am

re-tyred wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:45 am
Catching fish 102: buy pre-made rigs when first starting out. (I still do).
Re-tyred, you caught my attention with that one.

Is it just a convenience thing, a quality thing, etc. Some pre-made rigs are relatively expensive so I'm curious why an experienced fisho like yourself would not always make your own.

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”