Casting with small soft plastics

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
Bourkey

Casting with small soft plastics

Post by Bourkey » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:20 pm

Hi all, just after some advice.
I'm looking to maximise my casting DISTANCE using a spinning reel and small soft plastics (eg around 3 grams). I've got my head around reel size and line mix but could do with some advice regarding the rod/make/length. My budget is up to $120.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Casting with small soft plastics

Post by cobby » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:14 pm

3 grams isn't all that light but all things equal, longer rod means further casts. Going new you could get a Daiwa Hyper 702LXS, you might be lucky and get a Daiwa TD Black Wild Weasel 6101MLFS on clear out for close to your budget. Others are the Atomic Arrowz 70SUL or the UL model, Abu Garcia Rayrex 702SP-L, Shimano Squidgies 6102SPL.
If you can find them second hand (or add up to $80 to your budget) you open up to the much better old model Daiwa Infeet 702LFS or the older non carbon butt Shimano Zodias 270ML. All the rods listed are either 6'10" or 7' long.

Longbombs
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Longbombs » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:19 pm

Cobby has said it all I reckon...

I would also add the NS Amped rods at a slightly higher price point... if second hand they should be around your budget.

Using good, thin braid will really help your casting distance! The rod makes a little bit of distance, but the braid is the most important element in the set up for casting distance...

Try something like Toray super strong or gosen for an even better quality one.

Bourkey

Post by Bourkey » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks guys that really helps - there are just so many rods out there it's hard to narrow down the choices.

Cheers

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:09 pm

i wouldn't recommend the Wild weasel, its quite a stiff rod to cast really Light stuff a long distance. my cousin has that rod TD black model and i recon the older models were a lot better, thinner tips as well which aids in casting distance. new ones have bigger guides and just look bulky, more suited to a snapper rod tbh.

if you landbased then the longer the rod the better, but comes at a price, working a longer rod with placcies etc can be cumbersome once you fish long hours.

find a rod thats nice and soft in the tip part of the rod, this is what will allow the light plastics to cast well. then get some nice braid, not the cheap ropey stuff.

for the price range your looking at, something from the TD hyper or squidgies should suit

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:46 am

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:09 pm
i wouldn't recommend the Wild weasel, its quite a stiff rod to cast really Light stuff a long distance. my cousin has that rod TD black model and i recon the older models were a lot better, thinner tips as well which aids in casting distance. new ones have bigger guides and just look bulky, more suited to a snapper rod tbh.

if you landbased then the longer the rod the better, but comes at a price, working a longer rod with placcies etc can be cumbersome once you fish long hours.

find a rod thats nice and soft in the tip part of the rod, this is what will allow the light plastics to cast well. then get some nice braid, not the cheap ropey stuff.

for the price range your looking at, something from the TD hyper or squidgies should suit
The 702LFS scratchy then? Someone down Geelong way has a LTD Scratchy for sale on the Daiwa group on Facebook for $135 if the OP is down that way

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:55 am

The scratchy is about 2 inches longer than the one I was going to suggest aka itchy twitchy..
Both are similar rating one is 2 inches longer, so probably be a bit better for casting but not by a lot....

The td hyper have similar sized and rated rods but a bit cheaper so look at those as well

Bourkey

Post by Bourkey » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:08 pm

Hi all, thanks again for your advice. Armed with all the info I made a trip to the local big A outlet and pretty well got to check out all the suggestions, subject to some thinking time I'm pretty keen on the Atomic Arrowz Bream Surface AAS-270BS on sale for $120 - I'm hoping for a fathers day contribution!
If you have heard anything negative about this choice don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks again.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:34 pm

i have the daiwa scratchy and the atomic arrowz aas-7osul both great rod but different the arrowz is much lighter and softer in the tip both great rods .Cant go wrong with either but since your got the liking for the arrowz make sure you have a feel of there different model check frogleys offshore and youtube the models

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:50 pm

Tbhe best advice I can give is to get some 6lb braid and leader and you will be casting much further, if you are really keen then go to 4lb braid and a heavier leader, the Arrows rod is perfect5 for what you want to do. Can I ask what size reel you are using?

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”