Might Clarify a few things.

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Re: Might Clarify a few things.

Post by Stumpjumper » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:55 pm

Just Popo 'interpreting' what they want. There are more than 4 reasons to leave your home.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:12 pm

Stumpjumper wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:55 pm
Just Popo 'interpreting' what they want. There are more than 4 reasons to leave your home.
Yes correct. But we are talking about fishing specifically here..
It's says our officers can use discretion, so could possibly get away with it depending on the circumstances you find yourself in.

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:24 pm

Agree, common sense has to apply or people will turn on these restrictions.

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:42 pm

To go or not to go??

At the commencement of this covid19 outbreak, it was my intention to go and wet a line (either solo or with another mate) given i have some spare time due to the slow down in the economic activities. My reasoning was like many of you here - will be driving straight to the spot, doing it solo and will adhere to the social distancing rules already in place then. I am healthy and have not been in closed contact with persons whom have been overseas etc etc. At the back of my mind i knew this was not the "right" thing to do given the circumstances but still trying to support my desire to fish by saying i won't hurt anyone doing it.

However, as the impact hits harder with increasing cases detected and deaths rate climbing, it really hit home to me. The message really hits home when you start to hear and read the number of deaths steadily increasing in your own country and the majority of the fatalities are of older age bracket. I bet each and everyone of you is related to or known someone close that is in that higher risk age bracket - some of you ARE IN that age bracket yourself.

I will leave the argument if fishing is legal to the legal eagle people but it is a free country - you are allowed to do what you want to do but remember your actions will have consequences - legally, financially and socially. Legally you may be in the wrong and will be fined by Victorian Police. Financially because the fine will incurred a heavy penalty as everyone would know by now. Socially because your activity (fishing trip) WILL INCREASE the risk of you contracting the virus and hence WILL INCREASE the risk of you passing it onto a wider group in the community. I have decided to not thinking about the impending fishing trip because i have a nanna who is 80+. She doesn't live with us but what if I contract the virus then passed it onto my immediate family. It will take around 4-5 days before symptoms are surfaced and in that time frame, if any of us pays a visit to our Nanna then the sheet really hits the fan closed to home. As positive as I am, if your nan, your grandpa or the senior citizens of our community catches this virus, the chance of them making it through is definitely small.

To all the younger generation who think they are invincible and can beat this virus, please reconsider and think for the wider community. You are right that you will beat this virus if you contracted it but you may be inadvertently be the carrier to other vulnerable groups in our community - this could be your grandparents or someone in your age bracket but with underlying medical conditions - especially respiratory conditions such as asthma.

I joined up to this sign a while ago because it is a fishing forum and i love to fish. I am sure all of you joined the site for the same reason. It is sad to see so many bickering and sniping recently - evidenced by the greater number of locked posts lately. I have come to realised recently that no one is wrong or right - our viewpoint and opinion is based on our own experience and informed knowledge. Each angle will have its owns perspective and interpretation but don't think each perspective is more wrong than the other. I have been wrong in the past in my comments etc to some members and i acknowledge - it is okay to say "hey, your viewpoint is different, actually better than mine. You might be correct there!!". Take truedogz for example, we all he has some differences with some of us here in the past and went walkabout but in bad time like now he is back to offer his wealth of knowledge for us to better understand the situation - take my hats off to him for doing so.

Been wanting to get this off my chest for a few days already - before all posts are locked up :)

Hope we can all move forward and be respectful to each other - sad to see so much anger and animosity to each other in time of crisis when we should be doing our utmost to look out for each other.

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:54 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:51 pm
Screenshot_20200402-135404_Facebook.jpg

Popo gonna bust yo a$$ now too.
Good luck for those who want to be rebels 😂
https://youtu.be/mqUtJn_wxIQ

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:40 pm

Tim Quilty doing what he can for us fishos that want to get out there and do some socially distanced fishing.

https://m.facebook.com/TimQuiltyMLCNort ... l&mt_nav=0

Tim for PM!

The following article basically says banning fishing is only preventing the virus spread in Victoria. NSW and QLD are either totally irresponsible For allowing recreational fishing or Victoria has overreached (again).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-02/ ... n/12114934

This must be why NSW has more Covid-19 cases than us. All the fishing related virus transmission and all...

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:43 pm

To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm

skronkman wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:40 pm
Tim Quilty doing what he can for us fishos that want to get out there and do some socially distanced fishing.

Tim for PM!

The following article basically says banning fishing is only preventing the virus spread in Victoria. NSW and QLD are either totally irresponsible For allowing recreational fishing or Victoria has overreached (again).

This must be why NSW has more Covid-19 cases than us. All the fishing related virus transmission and all...
I reckon you might drawing a pretty long bow suggesting that fishing has contributed to the higher incidence of corona virus in NSW. I don't know of a single case in NSW where the virus was directly or indirectly contracted by a recreational fisherman. Unfortunately, mass infections from a single source, like the Ruby Princess or the Bondi backpackers have been big contributors to our disproportionate number of infections.
There may be some misconceptions about the attitude to recreational fishing in NSW. I don't know about Sydney but I live at Hawks Nest on the northern shore of Port Stephens. All of our launching ramps are still open but there are only one or two trailers in the car parks. On the southern (Nelson Bay) shore, all ramps are closed, as they are in Newcastle and Lake Macquarie. Although fishing is not legally prohibited, I suspect that the proportion of people actually going fishing here is not much different to Victoria. People here are generally very conscious of the social distancing protocols.

Dr Snapper
Has liked: 7 times

Post by Dr Snapper » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:30 pm

I just don’t get it.
Stay home unless it’s essential to go outside your home.
It highly unlikely that a fisherman or woman would help spread covid19 when they fill up with petrol or buy bait or snacks from the shop on the way to and from fishing (hay, lots drop into Bunnings while we are out) but that’s the point, that very very Odd one out contact starts a chain of covid19 that may not go any further than your immediate family once you get back home, or it could infect a few people, or a lot. As we know, most wont get sick enough to go on a ventilator but that’s the point, the less contact the less transferral.
And the issue is if we don’t go fishing etc you will be able to come back to me in about 5 months or whenever and say, see there was nothing much to worry about, when in fact it was because we didn’t go fishing we didn’t help spread the disease and (Hopefully) had reasonably low numbers.
I’m not going fishing until this is all over, regardless if the vic govt does the pi55 weak popular (vote winning) decision and says its ok because we owe it to the overworked medical etc teams to not be selfish pr1cks for a few fish.
Think of them before you back out the drive way. Keep busy by making fishing rigs and servicing rods and when this is over you can drop into your local ambulance station and leave your contact details for the ambos and offer to take them fishing.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:33 pm

colnick wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm
skronkman wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:40 pm

Tim for PM!

I reckon you might drawing a pretty long bow suggesting that fishing has contributed to the higher incidence of corona virus in NSW. I don't know of a single case in NSW where the virus was directly or indirectly contracted by a recreational fisherman. Unfortunately, mass infections from a single source, like the Ruby Princess or the Bondi backpackers have been big contributors to our disproportionate number of infections.
There may be some misconceptions about the attitude to recreational fishing in NSW. I don't know about Sydney but I live at Hawks Nest on the northern shore of Port Stephens. All of our launching ramps are still open but there are only one or two trailers in the car parks. On the southern (Nelson Bay) shore, all ramps are closed, as they are in Newcastle and Lake Macquarie. Although fishing is not legally prohibited, I suspect that the proportion of people actually going fishing here is not much different to Victoria. People here are generally very conscious of the social distancing protocols.
Sorry Colnick, it was an attempt at sarcasm on my behalf. Obviously socially isolated fishing isn’t a major cause of the virus spread. I’ll try to remember to use the “/sarc” in future.
I’m all for allowing an exemption for socially distanced recreational activities. I’m not a fan of big, dumb rules that effect everyone as a way of preventing the moronic few who refuse to abide by simple social distancing instructions; slap a few idiots with big fines and let the responsible ones get through this crisis with slightly less frustration, stress and mental anguish.

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”