Failure leads to success

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Re: Failure leads to success

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:11 am

Salt Guide, like any type of knowledge, is super powerful if you know how to interpret and use it. It's no different to reading a book or watching you tube clips. You need to practice what they show (time on water) and work out how it applies to the type of fishing you are doing.

Anyone who reads a book or joins a site just for a GPS mark has already failed.

Marks only work if you are willing to understand the how, why and when.... and once you have done that the marks will be more of a starting point/guide.

Beefy, electronics are well worth learning... but they aren't the be all and end all. Personally I've never used side scan or anything other than traditional sonar.... but I do rely on it to find sand holes in weed, reef and drop off's. All of these are important elements of learning to fish your own areas of WP.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:32 am

beefy wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:06 am
re-tyred wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:45 am
Catching fish 102: buy pre-made rigs when first starting out. (I still do).
Re-tyred, you caught my attention with that one.

Is it just a convenience thing, a quality thing, etc. Some pre-made rigs are relatively expensive so I'm curious why an experienced fisho like yourself would not always make your own.
Some people like to knit. Are the jumpers as consistent quality as a machine made one. If you enjoy tieing rigs do it. Buying rigs does not need to be expensive. Once you find ones that suit your taste then you can bet the next time you buy them they will be the same. If you are just starting out it is unlikely you will tie a bunch of rigs that are all exactly the same. So you add another variable. I went through a period of tieing rigs. Soon decided time was better spent thinking through when and where to go.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:52 am

These offshore rigs cost me $2 each if I buy 20 or more at a time.
The sabikis cost about $1 and I make two whiting rigs out of each.
Between them they cover 80% of my bait fishing. Only stuff I rig myself is my sliding rigs.
I buy a few lures for salmon, Taylor. Kingfish. I also buy huge 12/0 rigs with lights on them for deep water ling and blue eye fishing. They have 200lb line ,cost me around $10.
I never use stainless hooks, just relatively cheap, very sharp steel. Soon as the hooks look a bit rusty they go in the bin. Also chuck the rig out if it has any wear or doubtful looking bits.
Attachments
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (7.87 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
Screenshot_20220128-123644.png
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

beefy

Post by beefy » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:01 pm

I recently looked at some Black Magic whiting and snapper rigs at over $11 each. Seeing your latest post I did a bit of Googling, and seen much cheaper ones available. Found the website for your offshore rigs too.

Thanks for the reply Re-Tyred.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:29 am

Longbombs wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:12 am
rb85 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:22 pm
Robbie1950 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:07 pm
rb85 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:00 pm
This is no report, this isn’t a self appreciation post just my thoughts and reflection on life on the water and off.

If it wasn’t for donut sessions where others bagged or losing the prized catch due to dodgy knots, lack of experience run of bad luck we wouldn’t get satisfaction from our fishing success without hours upon hours of frustration and disappointment.

Fresh and inshore I have found success but with Bluewater I have struggled but it hasn’t beaten me it’s cost me thousands in fuel and hours of time but I refuse to let it beat me.

I’ve had glimpses of success but nothing that I would consider successful but I’m getting there stubborn in my approach I won’t go to Portland to catch tuna yet, I refuse to cheat with salt guide as an angler I’m honing my skills refining my technique trip after trip solo offshore trips are tough but I’m on my own journey.

WTF Is team CBFT waffling on about? It’s the fact that good fisherman are developed by time on the water and their failures help them improve guys like Denis Bardon don’t have the whiting dialed by sitting on the couch. Don’t sulk about your failures just means your closer to success
Couple beers tonight? :ch: I feel ya mate. Salt guide, Matt Cini, even your mate TB2F is starting a members section on his website :rf: . Nothing beats time and experience on the water, no passed on GPS marks can come even close.
No hardly a drop if you subscribe tou are less of a fisherman.
Bit harsh.

Cooking shows help us become better cooks.

Online courses help us learn/improve on skills.

Nothing wrong with learning from others.

And if someone's willing to pay for it, why not leverage that?

Learning is by reading, networking, trial and error and putting in effort these subscription sites have overstepped giving away GPS marks etc rather than just the know how. Im happy to pass on alot of info and tips where I find success what I don't do is shite on peoples doorstep. The most recent fiasco was WP mulloway marks which blew up on social media, Poor form by those who posted them for PROFIT.

They're sharing knowledge and they want money for it.

A teacher gets paid money - few would teach if it didn't pay.

The business model isn't just teaching its giving away marks and not just in their own backyard. By memory it one of the people cracked the sads when Winga done a Youfish episode for Snapper around Corinella. Hypocracy??

Some people would rather pay a monthly subscription for GPS marks and their content.

Others prefer not to.

I don't use them either, but doesn't make you less of a fish if you watch them.

I disagree those who put in the effort themselves and get rewarded should feel more satisfied than those who just pull up at the mark and follow a recipe....
Will touch on the Mulloway issue shortly was definitely poor form.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:45 am

If anyone saw the Mulloway mark fiasco they would understand why I don't like the path salt guide has taken fishing.

For those who want to hear about it listen to Episode 13 of wind against tide.

But pretty much a young Westernport Angler who has worked very hard at unlocking the code of catching Mulloway found out Salt Guide had posted a couple of his GPS marks. Turns out a black boat had been following him around the bay when he was fishing. The young fella was brave enough to call them out and stand by his comments despite the fact that they threatened the kid with legal action.

Mulloway are not plentiful in WP and are challenging to catch those dedicated to it put in 100s of hours for at times minimal reward when they finally find areas that are productive they are rewarded for effort. Posting these marks for the Salt Sheep is disrespectful to all anglers who do the hard yards themselves.

This is the same for Kingie marks, Gummie & Snapper marks etc. The tips on how to rig I have no objection to its creating a Salt Sheep mentality that I despise...

Like I said if you are a Salt Sheep you are less of an angler...
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:46 am

beefy wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:01 pm
I recently looked at some Black Magic whiting and snapper rigs at over $11 each. Seeing your latest post I did a bit of Googling, and seen much cheaper ones available. Found the website for your offshore rigs too.

Thanks for the reply Re-Tyred.
I quite like the black magic whiting rigs even though I tie my own with a glow bead.

beefy

Post by beefy » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:08 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:46 am
I quite like the black magic whiting rigs even though I tie my own with a glow bead.
So do you think they are actually more effective than cheaper rigs. I do believe in paying for quality if it makes a difference.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:17 pm

beefy wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:08 pm
[quote=rb85 post_id=345007 time=<a href="tel:1643413587">1643413587</a> user_id=15773]
So do you think they are actually more effective than cheaper rigs. I do believe in paying for quality if it makes a difference.
[/quote]

I wouldn’t touch them. BM hooks are crap and 15lbs is to heavy for whiting. As for the flasher material… it may or not make a difference but I haven’t found it necessary.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:26 pm

They do work ok in WP

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”