Places to fish in my 12ft tinnie

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
ann.tancred
Has liked: 2 times

Places to fish in my 12ft tinnie

Post by ann.tancred » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:20 am

Good afternoon all. I am asking for some information please on where would be a safe place to put the 12ft tinnie in I have a 15hp 4 stroke yamaha and looking to go diving for crays and catch some flathead.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Re: Places to fish in my 12ft tinnie

Post by e.welch » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:59 am

ann.tancred wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:20 am
Good afternoon all. I am asking for some information please on where would be a safe place to put the 12ft tinnie in I have a 15hp 4 stroke yamaha and looking to go diving for crays and catch some flathead.
Between Mornington to Sorrento on a calm day if it’s choppy don’t bother no fish is worth a life no matter how big. I heard that you can get Crays in Westernport but the only place I have seen them is around the my Martha rocks and Mornington area of your after flatties anywhere from as shallow as 4 metres and anything as deep as 12 these are just my thoughts I’m no expert though

ann.tancred
Has liked: 2 times

Post by ann.tancred » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:32 pm

Thank you for some helpful insights.
Much appreciated!

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:56 pm

ann.tancred wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:32 pm
Thank you for some helpful insights.
Much appreciated!
Don't think anyone will give away their crays spot just like that on a public forum.
Flathead though, in summer til autumn, they can be found in a lot of places in various depths. Depends where are you located and how far you're willing to go.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

e.welch

Post by e.welch » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:42 am

If your free diving it’s a lot harder for cray in about 4m you can find them but any shallower and their few and far between just look for rocks that have holes under them if their isn’t a Cray in them this year come back next year and their might be

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:43 am

e.welch wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:59 am
ann.tancred wrote:
Between Mornington to Sorrento on a calm day if it’s choppy don’t bother no fish is worth a life no matter how big. I heard that you can get Crays in Westernport but the only place I have seen them is around the my Martha rocks and Mornington area of your after flatties anywhere from as shallow as 4 metres and anything as deep as 12 these are just my thoughts I’m no expert though
You know a lot more than you give yourself credit for

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:01 am

Welcome Ann :w:
As Sebb & Mr Welch say & how far are you willing to go ???
Johanna, past Apollo Bay, Walkerville (not in bay)
A cray bloke at Walkerville had only a 14' tinnie, but, damn, you would need to know what you are doing in Bass straight.
All the best with your endeavours
Cheers Gra

e.welch

Post by e.welch » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:58 am

Texas wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:43 am
e.welch wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:59 am
ann.tancred wrote:
You know a lot more than you give yourself credit for
Lots of time and trips I don’t post I only bother posting the trips I catch stuff on and the stuff about boats is all from past experience when I had a boat I mainly landbased fish now though so I’m more of a help if it’s landbased then boat based and that’s about as much as I know about boat fishing

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”