Urangan Pier : Hervey Bay.

Queensland Fishing Reports
SFP Guy.

Urangan Pier : Hervey Bay.

Post by SFP Guy. » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:20 am

I spoke with a mate of mine the other day who's away on holiday with his family.

They're in Hervey Bay at the moment so he went for a fish on Urangan Pier and took his daughter along. He manages to catch himself a nice Spanish Mackerel, not long after a young fella fishing next to him pulls in a 1m+ flattie!

Not long after that a local guy brings up a 15kg GT (Giant, not Golden). Now Urangan Pier is 870m long, not the place to lug a whole lotta gear with you like eskies, so the local fella who caught the GT, gills it, guts it, then hangs it from the pier, into the water. That's how the locals keep their catch cool.

My mate is watching the guy lower the GT into the water, when it hits the water and is submerged a Groper the size of a large man appears and snatches the GT, snaps the rope and disappears!

Bugger.

I think I'll be keeping anything I catch out of the water when I'm there in two weeks!

Cam.

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Urangan Pier : Hervey Bay.

Post by sasquatch972 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:49 am

wow! i loved hervey bay when i went up there nearly 11 years ago. Catching whiting off the beach near the caravan park in pialba with gear i took up on the plane with me lol.
didnt realise the caliber of fish you can get off that pier though! Makes sense though as its so bloody long!
goodluck when you are there in 2 weeks mate, you will have to post some photos!

hangsta*

Post by hangsta* » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:21 pm

i lived in point vernon for about 2 years and never went fishing, reckon im spewing.although i did walk that pier a couple of times

SFP Guy.

Post by SFP Guy. » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Thanks Sasq, I'll be posting reports and pics, so stay tuned.

I'll be staying in Point Vernon, just walk down to the beach and cast a line in!

Here's a pic taken last night, check out the trolley!

Cam.

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:58 pm

wow! after reading your first post i had a look on youtube, so many vids up of people catching MASSIVE fish off the pier there...... hooking up a grouper that probably weighs as much as me! (thats alot!)
its funny majority of people fishing there use overhead game fishing style reels and rods, i dont think i have actually ever seen someone use gear like that on a pier down in melbourne before, thought about using one off a pier to catch gummy sharks but would probably get laughed at!... think ill have to look at making the journey up there again!

Return to “Queensland”