Swains Reef check list

Queensland Fishing Reports
smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Re: Swains Reef check list

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:32 pm

Carry a couple of power banks too.
Make charging the GoPro batteries on the boat easier.

Happy to buy some lures off you when you return if you are selling them. I’m stockpiling for my trip in November.

Also reels , if you are selling
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:45 pm

A jar of Tiger Balm :tu:
*are you doing any trolling?

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:58 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:11 pm
On a serious note.
Is this a bring your own gear charter? And is there there somewhere local or perhaps an arrangement made to be able to source sinkers and the likes locally?
Its going to weigh a bit by the time you include sinkers and the likes.

Definitely take spare sd cards if you plan on recording your trips or make sure the laptop has plenty of spare memory. Having done the whole transfer to laptop quite a few times now, I would advise multiple memory cards if you can afford it, its a lot easier specially after a big day's fishing to come back and then start transferring footage onto the laptop.
Bring your own gear. We’ve got like 50kg allowed per person of checked-in luggage for the flight

Haven’t put all the gear together yet and weighed it though. Surely I’d be under that even with sinkers?

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:59 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:32 pm
Carry a couple of power banks too.
Make charging the GoPro batteries on the boat easier.

Happy to buy some lures off you when you return if you are selling them. I’m stockpiling for my trip in November.

Also reels , if you are selling
I’ll keep you posted 👍

I’ll probably just cheap out and get Halco’s and Rapala’s. Won’t be buying any godly custom $150 poppers I don’t think
Mattblack wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:45 pm
A jar of Tiger Balm :tu:
*are you doing any trolling?
What’s the balm for?

Yep, I’ll be hoping to troll for Spaniards and doggies

Carlito
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Carlito » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:06 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:47 am
Carlito wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:17 am
Probably some 150 and 200lb leader I'd suggest.
A mate was saying that too, I thought it might have been overkill for GT but perhaps not?
Not overkill.
I use 120 for Kingies, I'd guess GT's are gonna absolutely smash you when they hit, so don't go too light.

Alex. MO

Post by Alex. MO » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:36 pm

I absolutely love it.
Don't overspend on gear, though, because you'll most likely be fishing with a handline by the end of the week.
I was paddling about in a kayak, fishing. I attached it to the roof rack of my car (which I got here) and had a good time. It has always been and will always be the most profitable and dependable method of getting fish into the kayak while fishing in this sort of terrain. In the six months leading up to going out there, I spent roughly $2000 on gear. Big overhead outfits, spinning outfits, tons of sinkers and jigheads I made myself, plastics, and so forth.
The deckies used to chuckle when we jumped into the dorries with tackle boxes and fishing rods, telling us to dump everything and simply bring a box of hooks and a 100pd handline. It took approximately three days and a lot of lost fish and gear due to braided lines getting cut off on shallow coral bombies for me to be convinced. I never looked back after that, and my catch rate skyrocketed.

hanboy
Has liked: 3 times

Post by hanboy » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:15 pm

Heavier leader for sure. I run 180lb to cast for GTs and 200lb for doggies, both in case the fish pull you into the reef and you need abrasion resistance.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:05 am

Alex. MO wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:36 pm
I absolutely love it.
Don't overspend on gear, though, because you'll most likely be fishing with a handline by the end of the week.
I was paddling about in a kayak, fishing. I attached it to the roof rack of my car (which I got here) and had a good time. It has always been and will always be the most profitable and dependable method of getting fish into the kayak while fishing in this sort of terrain. In the six months leading up to going out there, I spent roughly $2000 on gear. Big overhead outfits, spinning outfits, tons of sinkers and jigheads I made myself, plastics, and so forth.
The deckies used to chuckle when we jumped into the dorries with tackle boxes and fishing rods, telling us to dump everything and simply bring a box of hooks and a 100pd handline. It took approximately three days and a lot of lost fish and gear due to braided lines getting cut off on shallow coral bombies for me to be convinced. I never looked back after that, and my catch rate skyrocketed.
It’s probably the way to go, but seems so much more boring

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:26 pm

It's coming up quickly, only a couple months until we fly out.

I want to make a bit of a fish species check list thing into a competition/game for all the people going, just to add a bit of side fun... Maybe $20 a head entry, person to tick the most species off the check list takes all?

Has anyone else got any other suggestions on different fun activities/games we could do?

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:10 am

Kimtown wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:26 pm
It's coming up quickly, only a couple months until we fly out.

I want to make a bit of a fish species check list thing into a competition/game for all the people going, just to add a bit of side fun... Maybe $20 a head entry, person to tick the most species off the check list takes all?

Has anyone else got any other suggestions on different fun activities/games we could do?
Hmmm, bump lol.

Return to “Queensland”