Hamilton island fishing / charters

Queensland Fishing Reports
colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Re: Hamilton island fishing / charters

Post by colnick » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:50 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:11 pm
If anyone were to do a trip up to Airlie Beach over the course or a month. Where would YOU camp/stay along the way for a few nights each?

Forster-Tuncurry would be an absolute definite for me. I reckon Wonboyn, Woolongong, Hervey Bay and Gladstone would be up there for sure too.. Fraser would be unreal too but probably a bit difficult to launch and retrieve a ski there or pull up on the beach with the ski and camp
Good day Kimtown, I can absolutely recommend my home town Hawks Nest/Tea Gardens. Just 10 minutes off the highway and located on the Myall River just upstream from Port Stephens. Ready access to the Myall Lakes, the Myall River, Port Stephens, the Karuah River and great offshore sites like Broughton Island. Everything Foster/Tuncurry offers but quieter and more laid back. Get onto Google maps and have a look at the satellite image. You'll see what I mean.
Cheers, Col.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:57 pm

Sounds like a top spot :thumbsup:

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:06 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:11 pm
If anyone were to do a trip up to Airlie Beach over the course or a month. Where would YOU camp/stay along the way for a few nights each?

Forster-Tuncurry would be an absolute definite for me. I reckon Wonboyn, Woolongong, Hervey Bay and Gladstone would be up there for sure too.. Fraser would be unreal too but probably a bit difficult to launch and retrieve a ski there or pull up on the beach with the ski and camp
Only area I've been to on that route is Hervey Bay. Saw a long distance charter packed with fish return one evening along the marina. Can't recall the name unfortunately. I fished on the Urangan pier. It's very long at over a kilometre but a very good fishing destination. There was a fishing tackle store not far from there which had amazing photos of fish caught from the pier on display. Huge GT's and I think Spanish Macks and others. I fished there twice but focused on smaller stuff. The second time was on incoming on a warm evening which was a better time to fish. Very good variety I remember and certainly kept me busy. Late that night I heard a blowing sound and realised a whale was very close. Heard it a few times before it moved off.
Can't recommend the place enough. And a bonus the weather was great :a_goodjob:

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:08 am

Kimtown wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:29 pm
A GT swam past me snorkeling in Fiji 9 months ago, only in about a meter of water. Tried to catch but the ****** was quick af
I bet you were imagining switching the safety off your speargun haha

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:15 am

Tim399 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:08 am
Kimtown wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:29 pm
A GT swam past me snorkeling in Fiji 9 months ago, only in about a meter of water. Tried to catch but the ****** was quick af
I bet you were imagining switching the safety off your speargun haha
Haha, I wasn't spearing I was just frolicking around on the reefs. Had i had a gun that baby was coming back to the resort with me :rofl:

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:54 am

Less than a month away,

Just hired a dinghy and gonna take a travel rod + reel and a box of lures.

Pretty excited! Anyone else fished up there around the island?!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:19 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:54 am
Less than a month away,

I was literally going to post up another thread about fishing down there and just seen this hahaha
Ill be down there end of the year. A quick search reveals the tinny hire as the best option, and take a travel rod and some surface lures and plastics
I would also troll around a nice deep diver but generally everything there is huge, so chances of getting smoked are high.

Was told the harbour is full of massive gts, but conflicting results on whether or not we can fish there.

Charters have been getting mixed reviews, so I think best bet is to hire the tinny and go exploring
Ill be counting on you for some secret spots when your back. Info I got was the reefs near the airport are ok fishing from a boat.
Take the 5-8 / 8-10kg gear id say

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:17 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:19 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Less than a month away,

I was literally going to post up another thread about fishing down there and just seen this hahaha
Ill be down there end of the year. A quick search reveals the tinny hire as the best option, and take a travel rod and some surface lures and plastics
I would also troll around a nice deep diver but generally everything there is huge, so chances of getting smoked are high.

Was told the harbour is full of massive gts, but conflicting results on whether or not we can fish there.

Charters have been getting mixed reviews, so I think best bet is to hire the tinny and go exploring
Ill be counting on you for some secret spots when your back. Info I got was the reefs near the airport are ok fishing from a boat.
It’ll be my first time on the rods since very early snapper season (late september-ish)

I’d take a spear gun up there if I could, but idk how that would go down on the flight lol

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:34 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:17 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:19 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Less than a month away,

It’ll be my first time on the rods since very early snapper season (late september-ish)

I’d take a spear gun up there if I could, but idk how that would go down on the flight lol
yeah flight would be first problem, but id be more concerned about those sharks that are everywhere there, might have to take some of that magic snake oil (or 4 litres if you prefer male companionship :-D ) that's been flogged in the other thread with you for good measure.

rnegade charters name seems to come up a lot, but again conflicting reports of peple having to use handlines to fish, or worse sharing rods between each other etc etc...
tinny hire is def the way i recon.
id just drift along the reef systems and wait to get smoked :ch:

sailinginparadise

Post by sailinginparadise » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:31 pm

If you are looking for Boat Hire on the Gold Coast you are in the right place! https://sailinginparadise.com.au/ invites you to join us on one of our stylish sailing catamarans available for private boat charters, hen’s parties, birthday parties, corporate events, weddings, sunset cruises or any occasion, on the beautiful Gold Coast Broadwater.

Return to “Queensland”