Swains Reef check list

Queensland Fishing Reports
smokin_reels
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:23 pm
Has liked: 307 times
Likes received: 302 times

Re: Swains Reef check list

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:32 pm

Carry a couple of power banks too.
Make charging the GoPro batteries on the boat easier.


Happy to buy some lures off you when you return if you are selling them. I’m stockpiling for my trip in November.

Also reels , if you are selling
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Mattblack
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:08 pm
Location: South East Suburbs
Has liked: 571 times
Likes received: 280 times

Re: Swains Reef check list

Post by Mattblack » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:45 pm

A jar of Tiger Balm :tu:
*are you doing any trolling?

User avatar
Kimtown
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm
Has liked: 293 times
Likes received: 281 times

Re: Swains Reef check list

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:58 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:11 pm
On a serious note.
Is this a bring your own gear charter? And is there there somewhere local or perhaps an arrangement made to be able to source sinkers and the likes locally?
Its going to weigh a bit by the time you include sinkers and the likes.


Definitely take spare sd cards if you plan on recording your trips or make sure the laptop has plenty of spare memory. Having done the whole transfer to laptop quite a few times now, I would advise multiple memory cards if you can afford it, its a lot easier specially after a big day's fishing to come back and then start transferring footage onto the laptop.
Bring your own gear. We’ve got like 50kg allowed per person of checked-in luggage for the flight

Haven’t put all the gear together yet and weighed it though. Surely I’d be under that even with sinkers?

User avatar
Kimtown
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm
Has liked: 293 times
Likes received: 281 times

Re: Swains Reef check list

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:59 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:32 pm
Carry a couple of power banks too.
Make charging the GoPro batteries on the boat easier.


Happy to buy some lures off you when you return if you are selling them. I’m stockpiling for my trip in November.

Also reels , if you are selling
I’ll keep you posted 👍

I’ll probably just cheap out and get Halco’s and Rapala’s. Won’t be buying any godly custom $150 poppers I don’t think
Mattblack wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:45 pm
A jar of Tiger Balm :tu:
*are you doing any trolling?
What’s the balm for?

Yep, I’ll be hoping to troll for Spaniards and doggies

Carlito
Rank: Baitfish
Rank: Baitfish
Joined: Fri May 07, 2021 4:07 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Likes received: 4 times

Re: Swains Reef check list

Post by Carlito » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:06 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:47 am
Carlito wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:17 am
Probably some 150 and 200lb leader I'd suggest.
A mate was saying that too, I thought it might have been overkill for GT but perhaps not?
Not overkill.
I use 120 for Kingies, I'd guess GT's are gonna absolutely smash you when they hit, so don't go too light.

Alex. MO
New Member
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:54 pm
Likes received: 5 times

Re: Swains Reef check list

Post by Alex. MO » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:36 pm

I absolutely love it.
Don't overspend on gear, though, because you'll most likely be fishing with a handline by the end of the week.
I was paddling about in a kayak, fishing. I attached it to the roof rack of my car (which I got here) and had a good time. It has always been and will always be the most profitable and dependable method of getting fish into the kayak while fishing in this sort of terrain. In the six months leading up to going out there, I spent roughly $2000 on gear. Big overhead outfits, spinning outfits, tons of sinkers and jigheads I made myself, plastics, and so forth.
The deckies used to chuckle when we jumped into the dorries with tackle boxes and fishing rods, telling us to dump everything and simply bring a box of hooks and a 100pd handline. It took approximately three days and a lot of lost fish and gear due to braided lines getting cut off on shallow coral bombies for me to be convinced. I never looked back after that, and my catch rate skyrocketed.

hanboy
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:54 am
Has liked: 3 times
Likes received: 5 times

Re: Swains Reef check list

Post by hanboy » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:15 pm

Heavier leader for sure. I run 180lb to cast for GTs and 200lb for doggies, both in case the fish pull you into the reef and you need abrasion resistance.

User avatar
Kimtown
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm
Has liked: 293 times
Likes received: 281 times

Re: Swains Reef check list

Post by Kimtown » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:05 am

Alex. MO wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:36 pm
I absolutely love it.
Don't overspend on gear, though, because you'll most likely be fishing with a handline by the end of the week.
I was paddling about in a kayak, fishing. I attached it to the roof rack of my car (which I got here) and had a good time. It has always been and will always be the most profitable and dependable method of getting fish into the kayak while fishing in this sort of terrain. In the six months leading up to going out there, I spent roughly $2000 on gear. Big overhead outfits, spinning outfits, tons of sinkers and jigheads I made myself, plastics, and so forth.
The deckies used to chuckle when we jumped into the dorries with tackle boxes and fishing rods, telling us to dump everything and simply bring a box of hooks and a 100pd handline. It took approximately three days and a lot of lost fish and gear due to braided lines getting cut off on shallow coral bombies for me to be convinced. I never looked back after that, and my catch rate skyrocketed.
It’s probably the way to go, but seems so much more boring

Post Reply

Return to “Queensland”