Going Crabby

South Australia Fishing Reports
Bugatti

Going Crabby

Post by Bugatti » Mon May 04, 2020 9:50 pm

Crab 1.JPG

With the lean fishing reports, I thought I'd put up a Crabbing over-view of our South Australian Blue Swimmer Crabs.

One of the easiest things to catch, and great for all ages.

Crab 3.JPG

Most beaches in summer right along the South Australian Coast have these little beauties. Just tie a tub to your waist, a rake in your hand and scratch around and the buried buggas come out to , , , , be dinner :-D

Crab 2.JPG

Nothing like early morning, hitching the Boat up, a stop over for fuel and munchies on the way to the Boat Ramp.

Crab 8.JPG

A few nets over the side, wait 5-10 minutes and up they come , , , , dummies :tu:

Crab 9.JPG

But equally so, sitt'n on the planks at "Cafe de Bugatti" with a mate, enjoying the night (or day) and waiting for the nets to attract some dummies , , , , I mean Crabs

Crab 5.JPG

Someone is a bit OCD on how they stack their Crabs ;-)

Crab 4.JPG

Mate Don with his Jetty Kart (the MGB), drawing a female contingent of Crabbers. Seems he has "Cafe Don Cavalliero"

Crab 6.JPG

And just in case you may think I'm always OCD on how I stack Crabs , , , , this is the "random distribution" method, a catch from another time.

Crab 7.JPG

South Australian Leprechauns don't have a Pot of Gold at the end of the Rainbows, South Ozzy Leprechauns have a Pot of Crabs :-D

Crab 9a.JPG

Cheers, Bugatti

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Re: Going Crabby

Post by meppstas » Mon May 04, 2020 11:22 pm

Nice one Mr B, your article & pics brought back many good memories of my years in my old home state of South Aust, one of my favorites was raking for crabs at Port Gawler, Thompsons & Webb beach as well as Port Parham.. always fun times chasing crabs on the sand flats.. Also spent plenty of time on the Largs & Semaphore jetties with the crab nets too.. Thank you for reminding of those great years of the past back there in SA..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue May 05, 2020 6:41 am

We would have been over there now , but for the lockdown. Had these in my sights. Not sure when we will get there maybe next year.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue May 05, 2020 8:26 am

Oh look at them crabs!
🦀 🤤

One day I will travel to SA and you'll have to take me fishing and crabbing. Bbq and beers ofc.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Tue May 05, 2020 5:44 pm

cool stuff Bugatti.

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Tue May 05, 2020 7:14 pm

Hey Carman, I could never see what the fuss was about with eating Crab, most of them anyway.
Have trapped and eaten big Muddies in the NT and at least they were big enough to get something out of them, tasty to.
Blue Swimmers and others never seemed to have much in them, maybe that,s why I never “got the crabs”
Enlighten me please.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 05, 2020 11:07 pm

Enjoyed the read and the pics Mr B!
I remember those days! Those were the days! Raking for them with my old man and mates used to be a lot of fun 😊
Thanks for sharing mate.
Cheers 👍🏻

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed May 06, 2020 11:03 am

meppstas wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:22 pm
Nice one Mr B, your article & pics brought back many good memories of my years in my old home state of South Aust, one of my favorites was raking for crabs at Port Gawler, Thompsons & Webb beach as well as Port Parham.. always fun times chasing crabs on the sand flats.. Also spent plenty of time on the Largs & Semaphore jetties with the crab nets too.. Thank you for reminding of those great years of the past back there in SA..

cheers
Adrian
Thanks Adrian

Your reply has brought back many memories for me too, one of the great South Australian pass-times the Ol' Crabbing, with mates, with our Dads, with our kids. Just a unique way South Aussies enjoy summer and those delicious delicacies (might have to convince Blue)

You can take the Lad out of South Australia but you can't take the South Australia out of the Lad , , , , especially with you Adrian, you speak of your Home Town in such an endearing way , , , , they even named a Beach after you and a Crabbing one at that :tu:

Cheers, Bill

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed May 06, 2020 11:15 am

re-tyred wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:41 am
We would have been over there now , but for the lockdown. Had these in my sights. Not sure when we will get there maybe next year.
Thanks Mike, those Crabs are waiting for you , , , , with the wait, I'm sure they are going to taste even better :-D

Seb85 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:26 am
Oh look at them crabs!
🦀 🤤

One day I will travel to SA and you'll have to take me fishing and crabbing. Bbq and beers ofc.
Thanks Seb , , , , it's not "I'll have to" , , , , it's "I would love to" take you Fishing and Crabbing, if you ever get over here. Just one request, can you bring your Recipe Book too :-D

ben475 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:44 pm
cool stuff Bugatti.

Thanks ben, they are the coolest things. They bring so much fun to so many across all ages, and such a great way to pass the time AND get a feed as well.

Lightningx wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:07 pm
Enjoyed the read and the pics Mr B!
I remember those days! Those were the days! Raking for them with my old man and mates used to be a lot of fun 😊
Thanks for sharing mate.
Cheers 👍🏻
Thanks LX (great to see you back active on here too :tu: )

And so true, so much fun, I remember so endearingly Crabbing with my Dad (and surprisingly plucking a couple of Flounder up with the rakes on occasion too).
Nothing like scratching away and then a Hercules Crab pops up , , , , awesome.

Cheers, Guys, Bill

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed May 06, 2020 12:45 pm

Looks delicious Bill
I've never been crabbing although, did catch them as a "byproduct" at Sale
Had mud crab in Vanuatu, that was grouse.
Cheers Gra
P.s. When I come over we are using Don's jetty kart

Return to “South Australia”