Snapper West Beach

South Australia Fishing Reports
Bugatti

Snapper West Beach

Post by Bugatti » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:10 pm

My nephew was keen to get some Snapper before the 3 year Snapper Ban starts next week, so Monday arvo was the go.

Brother in-law, Nephew a myself trundled off to West Beach to a 4 - 5 km spot to see if we could get him some Snapper. We made a judgement call to go to a spot that we knew there were some Snaps, be them not monsters, rather than risk it and try for the big boys at another spot that fires sometimes and not other times.

Rods loaded and an array of rigs were the order of the day.

WB1.PNG

Rods set, feet up and what a nice arvo.

WB2.PNG

A bit of fresh bait doesn't go astray.

WB3.PNG
WB3.PNG (159.98 KiB) Viewed 3138 times

All in all, 9 Snapper were landed. This being the smallest one at 28cm

WB4.PNG
WB4.PNG (213.31 KiB) Viewed 3138 times

This was the only Snapper that was kept, at 45 cm. Here in SA the starting size requirement for Snapper is 38 cm, the other 8 Snapper were under that. We did repeatedly measure two but our efforts were in vain as they remained at 37 cm and didn't wishfully magically grow.
So 8 Snapper were released. Ironically, and enviably, all the Snaps would have been legal length in Victoria.

WB6.PNG
WB6.PNG (201.32 KiB) Viewed 3138 times

An additional "bait theif" was landed. This sorry guest is going to be my nephew's Grandma's dinner, Blue Crab Linguine. Even though she makes it with spaghetti ;-)

WB7.PNG
WB7.PNG (218.05 KiB) Viewed 3138 times

Another surprise was this odd looking "Flathead'

WB8.PNG
WB8.PNG (211.99 KiB) Viewed 3138 times

Which actually, as we found out (thank you Google & PIRSA) is a Congolli

WB9.PNG

So, I thought that was amusing , , , , Congolli-ne , , , ,

Congolline :bn: :bn: :bn: :bn:

All in all, a great evening out and one happy Nephew

Cheers, Bugatti
Last edited by Bugatti on Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Snapper with Blue Crab Linguine

Post by smile0784 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:58 am

Sounds a great day out with the nephew.
Great report mate

45cm snaps not bad mate
And the bait stealer not bad if cooked right

You going to get another day out?

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:47 am

Thanks smile.

Yeah, the dodge tide period here is on today and tomorrow. Stormy weather on Friday and Saturday, so looking ahead after that (which hopefully after the storms the Snaps, hopefully fire up a bit more) hoping to get one or two more trips on Monday and Tuesday before the ban starts on Friday.

I'm spewing I can't get to Yorke Peninsula as a mate is on holidays there and pulling 8-10 kilo units from , , , , one of our spot X's

Cheers, Bug

Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:45 am

Take you and your nephew to Victoria we gladly welcome to Victoria, many members will help you out im sure of it mate, including me helping you in any way. Nearest place for to catch snapper is Portland, know for mega red and tuna.
Keeping going, Keeping fighting, Keeping fishing, Keeping do your best.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:52 am

Thanks Jas :tu:

If we do get over there to Vicland, rest assured there's a spot on the boat for you. Not sure if we would though, maybe in a years time for the next Snapper season.

But I did think of you everytime my Nephew brought in a Snapper, he was happy as , , , , well , , , , happy as a young bloke catching Snapper :-D .

We let him grab the rods that were getting the hits.
He did catch that 45 cm one on his rod though and lost two that were probably a bit larger in the 50's. Not that he played them in wrong but more that he probably didn't "set" the hook firm enough when the Snapper took off.

Cheers, Bugatti

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:23 am

Nice report Mr Bug with some great pics :)
Good to see you had a good time out on the boat with your nephew!
Over here in Vic, a 37 Cm pinkie is a nice size and one that most would be very happy to take home!
Those blue swimmers bring back many memories for me growing up in Adelaide.
My old man and I would go rake for them around Port Gawler I think it was(was a very long time ago now).
Had many great sessions with some mates as well :)
Cheers :tu:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:06 am

Thanks LX

Time has not faded your memory, Port Gawler it definitely is, one of the best raking beaches in South Aus.

And yep, they would be great memories. We do the beach raking for Crabs with the kids and it's an awesome and unique activity.

I can just imagine the "mates" sessions too, great fun and a great laugh, with the added bonus of a great feed of Blue Crabs

Cheers, Bugs

Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:20 am

Bugatti wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:52 am
Thanks Jas :tu:

If we do get over there to Vicland, rest assured there's a spot on the boat for you. Not sure if we would though, maybe in a years time for the next Snapper season.

But I did think of you everytime my Nephew brought in a Snapper, he was happy as , , , , well , , , , happy as a young bloke catching Snapper :-D .

We let him grab the rods that were getting the hits.
He did catch that 45 cm one on his rod though and lost two that were probably a bit larger in the 50's. Not that he played them in wrong but more that he probably didn't "set" the hook firm enough when the Snapper took off.

Cheers, Bugatti
Thank bug, when you give me the gift I think I thing you as far step-geek uncle in SA, honestly my real step-uncle never come in to me on my birthday, i only see him at my cus birthday or visiting grandpa birthday, he never give a gift to me. last time i remember he only give me 50$ last time. So far when FV member help me out with fishing problem and give their rod and tackle buy fishing licences so far it the best day birthday I ever had in my life , however bad time happen. I'll post update soon. I also glad that your real Nephew are happy... hopefully he love you as good uncle :tu: :-D
Keeping going, Keeping fighting, Keeping fishing, Keeping do your best.

dmck
Has liked: 35 times

Re: Snapper West Beach

Post by dmck » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:02 pm

Oh dear Buggsie.......

You do need to get to Yorks !!!
We got 5 keepers Monday last week.... and nine yesterday.....

14 in 8 days....... only 4 in the previous 3 years.........

Bugatti

Re: Snapper West Beach

Post by Bugatti » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:37 pm

dmck wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:02 pm
Oh dear Buggsie.......

You do need to get to Yorks !!!
We got 5 keepers Monday last week.... and nine yesterday.....

14 in 8 days....... only 4 in the previous 3 years.........
G'day Don

Some pretty good numbers there, well done :tu:
Hopefully Yatsie & Cheetah have been getting on to some too.

Yeah, a few I know have been getting them over there. The dramatic reduction in the Commercial's Daily allowance might have something to do with that. In the point that they don't "disperse" the schools with a large sustained effort.

Who knows, but when the rod goes zzzzZZZZ who cares why :-D

You keep well Don

Cheers Buggsie

Return to “South Australia”