Robe to Salt Creek

South Australia Fishing Reports
Bugatti

Re: Robe to Salt Creek

Post by Bugatti » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:32 pm

A mate just came back a few weeks ago from an 8 day trip to the far west coast, Yalata, for monster Mullies. They still went with non favourable forecasts. They only caught one undersize Mullie between the three of them, a few Salmon and Squid. And one decent Gummie.

Last trip planned with Don was a 4 daya this past February. We pulled the pin because of rain. Salt Creek can get mushy for Vehicles.

Hard call to make.

Cheers, Bug

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:46 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:32 pm
A mate just came back a few weeks ago from an 8 day trip to the far west coast, Yalata, for monster Mullies. They still went with non favourable forecasts. They only caught one undersize Mullie between the three of them, a few Salmon and Squid. And one decent Gummie.

Last trip planned with Don was a 4 daya this past February. We pulled the pin because of rain. Salt Creek can get mushy for Vehicles.

Hard call to make.

Cheers, Bug
Shouldn't be much rain, just big head on winds.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:02 am

Kimtown wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:46 pm
Bugatti wrote:

Hard call to make.

Cheers, Bug
One of the issues there (and obviously other Surf Fishing locations) is keeping your line above the breakers, otherwise the wave grabs your line and drags/swings your rig/baits around back to the beach.

I leave all that to Don, he knows his stuff, picks a spot with a close enough gutter and something he told be he looks for is also a "higher" beach, like a mound of sorts. Plus if your rod holding tubes are long, that helps elevate your rod and subsequently, your line too

Cheers, Bugs

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:32 am

Bugatti wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:02 am
Kimtown wrote:
Bugatti wrote:

Hard call to make.

Cheers, Bug
One of the issues there (and obviously other Surf Fishing locations) is keeping your line above the breakers, otherwise the wave grabs your line and drags/swings your rig/baits around back to the beach.

I leave all that to Don, he knows his stuff, picks a spot with a close enough gutter and something he told be he looks for is also a "higher" beach, like a mound of sorts. Plus if your rod holding tubes are long, that helps elevate your rod and subsequently, your line too

Cheers, Bugs
Haha yeah I'm aware, I have a 14'6" Penn prevail with a 1.5m high rod holder, running a range of grapnel sinkers up to 10oz so we are armed with all the right stuff to give us every advantage possible with the conditions... I'm not sure that would be our issue.

I'm more concerned about camping in the dunes for 4 nights with 20 knot winds into our face. That would be majorly uncomfortable imo.

I'll see what happens I guess. I'm still praying a christmas come early miracle might back the wind off by about half... if not change it to a north-easterly at the very least :sr:

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:18 am

Kimtown wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:30 pm
Tim399 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:50 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:05 pm
20 knot westerly winds forecast, are ya kidding me..
Sounds familiar...
Debating whether i pull the pin and head east instead. The surf fishing might not be as good, but at least the weather's favourable.
At least the wind at this stage is looking more offshore out east - the strong onshore winds at Robe will get old fairly quickly if you will be spending a lot of time on the beach

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:59 am

Tim399 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:18 am
Kimtown wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:30 pm
Tim399 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:50 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:05 pm
20 knot westerly winds forecast, are ya kidding me..
Sounds familiar...
Debating whether i pull the pin and head east instead. The surf fishing might not be as good, but at least the weather's favourable.
At least the wind at this stage is looking more offshore out east - the strong onshore winds at Robe will get old fairly quickly if you will be spending a lot of time on the beach
Highly agreed lol. Plenty or places to protect yourself east in the rugged coast line out there... west, not so much.

Misheen

Post by Misheen » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:14 am

Kimtown wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:32 am
Bugatti wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
Bugatti wrote:

Hard call to make.

Cheers, Bug

Cheers, Bugs
Haha yeah I'm aware, I have a 14'6" Penn prevail with a 1.5m high rod holder, running a range of grapnel sinkers up to 10oz so we are armed with all the right stuff to give us every advantage possible with the conditions... I'm not sure that would be our issue.

I'm more concerned about camping in the dunes for 4 nights with 20 knot winds into our face. That would be majorly uncomfortable imo.

I'll see what happens I guess. I'm still praying a christmas come early miracle might back the wind off by about half... if not change it to a north-easterly at the very least :sr:
How do you get baits out with 10oz sinkers?

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:16 am

Misheen wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:14 am
Kimtown wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:32 am
Bugatti wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
Bugatti wrote:

Hard call to make.

Cheers, Bug

Cheers, Bugs

How do you get baits out with 10oz sinkers?
Not with a smile on my face, that's for sure

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:01 am

Have you used the grapnels before kimmy? Boy do I remember the first time I used them and thought whoa how in the hell do I hook a fish when I need to almost break my back to free the sinker from the sand! But its a technique and you will get used to it after a few casts

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:07 am

canned_tuna wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:01 am
Have you used the grapnels before kimmy? Boy do I remember the first time I used them and thought whoa how in the hell do I hook a fish when I need to almost break my back to free the sinker from the sand! But its a technique and you will get used to it after a few casts
Yep used them a few times. Pretty much a necessity on the 90 mile beach lol. You're not wrong either.

Return to “South Australia”