GF weekend at JB

New South Wales Fishing Reports
DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

GF weekend at JB

Post by DougieK » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:03 am

Having cracked it hard at the footy I took off to JB early Weds morning with a view to getting a couple of decent sessions on one of the front ledges then at the Tubes. After 11 sets of roadwork, 4 accidents, a grass fire and pulling two junkies apart that were swinging at each other in the Gundy maccas carpark, my 9 hour drive became a little over 12.

I missed my first session all together but managed to get in 15 mins spinning on a local beach for no result.

Next morning I was after it before dawn and headed out to Beecroft heads. This ledge faces into the EAC and you can watch the sun rise as you start casting.

Setup with baits in.

I fished here all day Thurs and until about 10am on Friday morning. I only saw one other fisherman the whole time I was out there. This ledge is really spectacular, you walk in through a little gully called Mermaids Inlet, and fish the bottom shelf of layered cliffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqoI4UM98VM

The Whales put on a spectacular show, probably 30 of them swam past in the day and a half I was out here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6GkLola4fQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JndRX0X-kw

I lost one kingfish here, potential 5-6kg. Didn't even get my rod out of the rod holder before it bricked me. I love these fish.

I went back in that afternoon, but the wind made it impossible to balloon, and no fish wanted to eat a lure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MeH_7qUyGk

Friday afternoon I headed straight down to the Tubes when it opened at 1.30pm. Remarkably enough I had the place entirely to myself. This is an abandoned WW2 torpedo platform built to defend Jervis Bay from potential Japanese attacks. From January to May this place is full of Marlin fishos, so to see it quiet was a nice suprise. It is possibly the most famous fishing platform in the world.

You can catch everythign from squid to Marlin off this platform, my target, as always, was Yellowtail Kingfish.

Donutted on Friday. That night I was lucky enough to drop in to Kemps MMA in Nowra for a seminar with UFC veteran Anthony Perosh. 3 hours of sparring and technical work later, my good friend Richard Kemp was awarded his BJJ black belt by Perosh.

I fished the tubes all morning Saturday. Just after high tide, I had a Kingie approx 15kg inhale an OTL swimpop 3m in front of me and dive straight down. I was using my 11 foot 30-50lb assassin instead of my poppping rod (which had a balloon on it). The longer, softer rod couldn't stop the big king, however luckily before he reefed my he spat my lure back out. I picked up three of these OTLs, one swimpop, one popper and one stickbait last time I was at Busted. They are super pricey but amazing lures.

Sunday morning I had a few swimming up and down in my berley trail but was unable to hook up. They simply wouldn't take any lure, live bait, or unweighted dead bait I threw in front of them, to the point where they will swim up to it, look at it, say 'im not eating that it's got a hook in it!' and swim off.

The long drive home fishless on Sunday sucked just as hard as it does every time, even more so this time knowing I dropped a PB.

This is the lure I'm talking about, i refer to it as a subsurface popper. I'll take a video of it swimming next time i'm out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuoM83BPPDs
Last edited by DougieK on Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: GF weekend at JB

Post by purple5ive » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:38 am

Damn man that's a lot of effort you put in. All the best for the next trip..

I'm guessing a grass is running off the road??

The tubes are an awesome place to visit, the memories of tents all up along the cliffs with toddler swimming pools all filled with XOS live slimy mackeral kept alive by whipper snipper powered pumps drawing water straight from the ocean is something I will never forget...

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:50 am

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:38 am
Damn man that's a lot of effort you put in. All the best for the next trip..

I'm guessing a grass is running off the road??

The tubes are an awesome place to visit, the memories of tents all up along the cliffs with toddler swimming pools all filled with XOS live slimy mackeral kept alive by whipper snipper powered pumps drawing water straight from the ocean is something I will never forget...
Grass fire. I accidently a word there. Edited the original post.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:15 pm

Great report....shame you cant enter the comp, this would have been a worthy entry

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:18 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:15 pm
Great report....shame you cant enter the comp, this would have been a worthy entry
Probably going to have to catch a fish to win that one.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:40 pm

Excellent read mate, what an adventure that was. Hats off to you for putting in such an effort and although it resulted in donuts, the experience of encountering kingies in my opinion was well worth it. Better luck next trip mate, keep up the good work :gj:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:30 pm

Top report with some awesome pics and vids!
Cheers :tu:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:25 pm

Great read mate good to get out and have a crack.

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:07 pm

"He's Whaleving to me"? How many years in tertiary education and academia mastering the English language led to that comment? :-D

Nice report though, well done

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:06 pm

Great report mate

Return to “New South Wales”