Merimbula Fishing Report - Photos

New South Wales Fishing Reports
azkay

Merimbula Fishing Report - Photos

Post by azkay » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:12 am

Well, back from Merimbula and as promised thought I would post a report on my travels and some photos down the bottom. Thanks to all the guys who offered advice beforehand, it all came in so handy when I was up there.

In total I spent 3 days fishing,
Day 1: Went past both the Tackle Shops in town to see where I could find some Salmon & Tailor off the surf, both recommended Tura Beach and with a fellow Forum Member also mentioning North Tura, I headed out that way around Midday, fishing through to Sunset. It wasn’t Mayhem by any means however it was a really productive day. I was catching Salmon up to 4kg & Tailor up to 3kg. Took home a feed and returned the rest to the water. Had to pick up my rod from the water twice, once was a Salmon about 4kg and the other was a double hookup on Tailor about 3kg. Not so good casts were landing on Sand but that was okay as there was some good flatties on the sand flats.

Gear: 2 X 12’ Graphite – 8000 Reels, Spooled with 40lb Braid, 50lb Leader, Size 4/0 & Ganged Hooks, Size 5 Star Sinker.

Day 2: Similar to Day 1 & Same Gear, went back this time later in the day with the hope of sending out some bigger baits after dark. Went down to a beach near Haycock Point. It was a forced change of beach due to Wind Direction. The fish were a little smaller, however more plentiful. Line was consistently getting washed far right, so I thought I’d let it go, see where it ended up. Funnily enough, it was always stopping about 150m South of where I was about 20m out into the water. So packed up and went and sat right in front, sure enough, not too long after and I was catching 1.5-2kg salmon literally 20m from the shore on the surf. Unreal experience, as they were in shallow water with a lot of go so, jumping all over the place. Big baits didn’t result in anything spectacular at night.

Day 3: Thought I would try something different. Near the entrance bridge there were some Oyster Farms. So had a rest during the day and went for a drive at sunset, found a couple of spots from the edges where I’d be able to get close enough to the farms to tempt any species feeding around there. My guess or target I should say was Trev’s and Tailor. So I set up my 9’ straight to a Ganged Hook Full Pilly (Tailor) and a Float on the 7’ (Trevs). Trev’s were a no go but slow rolling the Pilly was amazing. It was almost a fish a cast with Tailor up to 40cm. Some were just under 30cm, which is the limit so a lot went back. Took home 7 or 8 as I don’t get many Tailor in Vic Waters.

I spent some of my spare time on the other days at Merimbula Wharf and Tathra Wharf. Both were very quiet. No bait fish, a lot of snags and a lot of Rays.

Side Note, NSW Fisheries were very vigilant. Anyone travelling, please remember you’re in NSW Waters so they want a NSW License. Also, size and bag limits are different!

I’d be happy to offer any further help (specific locations, setups, time of day) to anyone else heading up that way so don’t hesitate to ask.

Sorry if the report is a little long and thanks again to all those who offered assistance. Wishing everyone a Safe & Enjoyable Holidays.

Most of the photos are on the camera, i'll put a few on that i've found on my phone and the rest i'll add after.

Regards,
Az.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Az.

Flathead37

Re: Merimbula Fishing Report - Photos

Post by Flathead37 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:32 am

Great stuff mate looks like you had a awesome time

Flathead37

Post by Flathead37 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:34 am

tailor grilled is fantastic eating

azkay

Post by azkay » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:45 am

Flathead37 wrote:tailor grilled is fantastic eating
I'm trying em every which way, hehe.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Az.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:52 am

A 4kg salmon is a great fish in the surf great report azkay looks like you had a good break

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:26 pm

Wow fantastic report! Great pics with some really nice fish :)

Raulfc7
Has liked: 22 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:38 pm

Great report azkay and well done on the fishing :a_goodjob: I love travelling up there and wetting a line
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:29 pm

good stuff, those big salmon are great fun off the surf!

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:13 am

Nice Salmon you caught.

azkay

Post by azkay » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:44 am

Thanks guys, it was a whole heap of fun. It's my first time up there in over a decade and a lot of the people I spoke to couldn't find the fish. So it felt great to actually get onto a few.
Az.

Return to “New South Wales”