Land based camping / fishing Victoria

CraigM

Land based camping / fishing Victoria

Post by CraigM » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:00 pm

Hi,

looking for suggestions for a weekend spot for camping / fishing, don't have a boat so will be land based. Was originally planning on making a trip from Melbourne SE to Lake Eildon for an overnighter / two, but open to other suggestions. Is it worth the trip without a boat any recommendations on campsites / locations for land based fishing?

Any suggestions on what to target, have bought rods,bait casters and lures to mess around with the boys, plan was to try and target some cod. Thinking of casting some bottom baits as well. Open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Land based camping / fishing Victoria

Post by Aimless » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:06 am

I've stayed at Blue Gums Caravan Park (pretty sure..) just a bit below the Pondage which is a nice spot, good camping spots by the river and dead quiet when I was there. Didn't catch anything at Eildon and wasted a lot of money renting a boat for half a day so I can't help other than that!

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:13 am

Check the water level of the Eildon lake, can be hard landbased when its low. the Eildon pondage is an all year round fishery and a much friendlier place to fish with the family.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:58 pm

You could try Major Creek reserve near Nagambie...great spot for kids as it's a quiet little backwater of the Goulburn. It's bush camping if you're into that, and only 15 min from Nagambie for supplies etc. I've kayaked it a few times and there's definitely fish there, or you can fish the Goulburn which is just around the corner.

Return to “Family Fishing Lakes”