Karkarook Cod

samjas1316
Has liked: 47 times

Karkarook Cod

Post by samjas1316 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:37 pm

Fished yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours at my local to see if I could land one of the recently stocked cod or yella. Only had the one hit and managed to get this fella.

Resized_20200109_200806.jpeg

It was good get one and I hope they have a chance to get bigger and healthier. The fins were tattered. Released to get better.

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Re: Karkarook Cod

Post by croe04 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:45 pm

tattered fins seem to be a pretty consistent theme with the few cod that have been caught from karkarook. it doesn't seem like a healthy environment for them and i doubt they get very big or live very long unfortunately.

MasterBaiter24
Has liked: 36 times

Post by MasterBaiter24 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:05 am

What was it caught on? Thanks for the report, and I have to agree with croe on the tattered fins

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:42 am

MasterBaiter24 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:05 am
What was it caught on? Thanks for the report, and I have to agree with croe on the tattered fins
I'd hazard a guess that it was caught on the dirty big gold spinnerbait hanging out it's mouth :gj:

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:06 pm

Nice work on the cod

All the cod I've seen come out of the stocked urban lakes (karkarook and others) have had rooted fins and the freshly stocked yellas out of albert park I've seen were in poor condition as well so my guess would be that the damage to the fins is happening prior to release since the yellas in albert park are usually in tip top condition with no fin damage suggesting it's not happening post stocking there.
Brett wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:42 am
MasterBaiter24 wrote:
I'd hazard a guess that it was caught on the dirty big gold spinnerbait hanging out it's mouth :gj:
I'd take a stab at it being a tt vortex spinnerbait based on head shape
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

samjas1316
Has liked: 47 times

Post by samjas1316 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:51 pm

mazman wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:06 pm
Nice work on the cod

All the cod I've seen come out of the stocked urban lakes (karkarook and others) have had rooted fins and the freshly stocked yellas out of albert park I've seen were in poor condition as well so my guess would be that the damage to the fins is happening prior to release since the yellas in albert park are usually in tip top condition with no fin damage suggesting it's not happening post stocking there.
Brett wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:42 am
MasterBaiter24 wrote:
I'd take a stab at it being a tt vortex spinnerbait based on head shape
Thanks for the info Mazman I wasn't sure if the fins meant the fish were getting stressed post released, meaning their future would not have been any good there.

I haven't seen any photos of any yellas to come out from karkarook so I don't know about their condition. I'm hoping both the cod and yellas get a chance to get bigger and healthier.

Would love for fisheries to get the EPs stocking there to get going again. I'm hoping to one day get the karkarook trifecta: cod, yella and EP!

Also spot on with the spinner bait used.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:33 pm

Nice cod mate!
Can’t complain when you can catch a fish like that at your local :tu:

Return to “Family Fishing Lakes”