Getting started in fly fishing.

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Getting started in fly fishing.

Post by sasquatch972 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:18 pm

Jake420 wrote:Milton & Glenn at hook up are great people people to deal with once they get to know you n you give them some info on what you know and they will give you some handy info and locations on were to fish. I've learnt so much of those 2 guys. Im still a fly virgin been trying for over 6 months can't wait for school holiday stockings make it easier :) haha
yeah ive never had a bad experience going in there, they dont try to be salesmen either.
i heard a whisper from someone on here lillydale lake got stocked but DPI didnt mention it as a lake that has been stocked recently, they did tell me devilbends had a few thousand fish put in a few weeks ago so im going to try to get down there tomorrow and throw a few flys...no one has been having much luck or fun with the lures, aparently theres alot of weed within casting distance.
i did go to lillydale last monday, saw a couple of fish splash and a cormorant getting a feed of fish about 5 inches long but unsure what....
i guess if i dont make it out to devilbend weather and flooding permitting, ill just go to a local like rowville,lillydale or karkarook and practice casting.....

Jake420

Post by Jake420 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:56 am

Devilbend n fly fishing don't really agree unless you get that perfect day with no wind .. even experienced fly fisherman probly struggle ther with the wind & because of the restricted zones its not possible to get away from it unless no ones fishing the quarry because that's about the only shelter. Yeah I'll probly go try lilydale tomorrow
The Dirty Oar

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:44 am

is it usually more windy down there than up around Knox? because the last few days have been O.K wind wise but the rains been whats keeping me from going fishing... :(

Edit: its actually starting to look like a rather good day today, might atleast go down there to check it out

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:34 pm

well ended up going down to Karkarook today.. left it too late in the day to go to devilbend and i suppose just needed a place to practice as im not what you would say experienced enough to tackle trying to catch fish with the fly
waded out till about 2ft of water and practiced casting for about an hour, would have been funny to watch if anyone experienced in fly fishing was there lol
the new line is definately better, sits on the water much nicer instead of still being coiled up out of the water like a spring! wasnt able to cast much further than 10m at best really though

Jake420

Post by Jake420 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Yeah ad least 3x if not more than around here because its got ocean on both sides of it.
Yeah its handy to have a mate that knows what to do then they can tell you what ur doing wrong or improve something and then you can watch them n try helped me alot & I also found it a lot easier practicing with dry flys rarther than the heavier wollys or something wet.
The Dirty Oar

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:05 pm

i was using a wooly bugger mk II today, was using a dry last week.
yeah i dont know anyone that fly fishes lol. there was a father and son down at karkarook fly fishing a few weeks ago when i was there lure fishing but didnt get much of a chance to sit and watch.
tempted to go to the club at lillydale lake some time though... the bloke at hook up bait and tackle said it sounded like i need to pull back on the rod when im back casting to drag line out.. i got a couple of alright casts and placements today but yeah nothing special... probably 1 or 2 out of 5 casts was half decent lol, just got to keep practicing and watching fly casting videos i guess lol.

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi everyone I'm a 16 year old looking to get in to fly fishing,
I have never tried it before and would love to have a go.
If anyone ever is going out and wouldn't mind me tagging along to have a look and maybe a quick trial please pm me.
Cam :thumbsup:
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Was wondering if anyone here is on any Fly Fishing forums? Feel free to 'link' to any forums as I am interested and others may be as well.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:38 pm

i am on the FlyLife magazine Forum, havent put up any posts but have to be a member to have a read.
http://www.flylife.com.au/phpbb3/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i might have a look at other fly fishing forums, wouldnt mind finding someone in the Suburbs around me that knows how to fly fish so they can teach me how to cast properly.
or im going to go to the fly fishing club at lillydale lake on sundays and have a go there.

bugeater
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bugeater » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:32 pm

Jim, I go on anglingvictoria a bit and occasionally browse the flylife forums, but that's it.

Sasquatch, I found my casting improved immensely when I had an instructor show me how. I did the beginners course at NSFFC. The instructor held my arm and moved it in the correct rhythm to show me what I should have been doing. Basically in about a minute my casting improved ten fold.

Haven't been fishing for over a month... I really need to get out there.

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”