Trout streams and hot weather

Connar98

Trout streams and hot weather

Post by Connar98 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:02 pm

From what I heard when trout streams get to hot (water temp above 20 degrees Celsius) the trout tend to get stressed and come off the bite.

Iv been given a lot of mixed information. Iv heard that they will still be around but will only take a dry fly, they will only be in deep pools and chasing cooler spring fed water up tributary’s and that even some areas of a river they will completely disappear to chase cooler water upstream.

What do I need to take into consideration to determine if a stream is worth fishing in hot weather?

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Trout streams and hot weather

Post by Sebb » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:35 am

Connar98 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:02 pm
From what I heard when trout streams get to hot (water temp above 20 degrees Celsius) the trout tend to get stressed and come off the bite.

Iv been given a lot of mixed information. Iv heard that they will still be around but will only take a dry fly, they will only be in deep pools and chasing cooler spring fed water up tributary’s and that even some areas of a river they will completely disappear to chase cooler water upstream.

What do I need to take into consideration to determine if a stream is worth fishing in hot weather?
I agree with those.

Fish shaded areas and fast running water where there's more oxygen and cooler.
Fish early morning or evening.
Avoid flat slow shallow open water.
If you catch and release, make sure you do it really quick and dont play with the fish too much. They'll die very quickly because of the heat.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”