ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Boat hire for island drops

Post by ducky » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:53 pm

LoneTraveller wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:27 pm
ducky wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:50 pm
What islands are you thinking about anyway? Can’t see a pickup and drop off at a remote island being cheap in any way.

If it was something you were seriously looking at doing regularly and the islands are relatively close then for all the rooting around you’re better off just getting a banged up little tinny and beaching it/anchoring in the shallows near land on whatever the island is.
Yeah, the tinny idea is great! But, for this to work, it needs a seasoned skipper that knows his way around the water like Barra Mick was saying! :tu:

I’m hoping that people would see this as an opportunity to make money on the side, enjoy their time fishing and share ideas with other people from around the place.
I imagine costs would need to be in the $300 mark to cover fuel/expenses for the pickup and drop off. Then there’s actually the $$ needed to make it worthwhile for the skipper.

Id strongly suggest you do some walk in fishing somewhere and get your kit absolutely sorted 100% before you look at doing super remote stuff. Mates I know that backpack hunt have changed there kit numerous times chasing the right mix of everything you need to survive harsh elements.

For mine it wouldn’t be worth doing something that remote for a day trip... you would want to do it for 4 days minimum to actually make it worthwhile. The logistics of such a trip isn’t hard but requires a bit of experience. Safer to build the experience where you can walk back to the car if needed.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:02 pm

Ducky 100 percent correct
To do this in Victoria you are best to camp on a protected side off a island or in a creek off a island

The effort to take a land based fisher is hardly worth it.

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:05 pm

Also add....it's not for everybody.....

Lots off people can fish for 12 hours in western port...alot different for 4 days in a boat/island

Its a different type off camping ....

LoneTraveller
Has liked: 10 times

Post by LoneTraveller » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:27 pm

I totally agree with both you! And this is the plan for me for this coming spring/summer! Thanks heaps for your input! That’s was really helpful! :vy:
Cracking the code!

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:15 am

barra mick wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:02 pm
Ducky 100 percent correct
To do this in Victoria you are best to camp on a protected side off a island or in a creek off a island

The effort to take a land based fisher is hardly worth it.
Is there a single island in Victoria that has a creek on it?

Definitely none of the offshore islands have any type that would offer protection from sea elements over the course of a few days

Honestly think your best bet is being dropped off somewhere like Refuge Cove and rock hop LBG from there. Rabbit is about the only island in vic waters that I can see that you could safely do this from... maybe one other, but I’ve never been there personally

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:23 am

What about Julia Percy Island? Kings and tuna would be around there over summer
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Post by Gultch78 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:35 pm

Hogan Island and the skipper might stay overnight aswell if you are keen just need a diver to fetch crays for me while I'm there
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:57 pm

What Gultch said about Hogan with that very small beach. But there is not a whole lot else on there. Otherwise you've got Erith and Deal as basically the only other islands that offer enough protection to safely land with the predominately SW Bass Strait swell that doesn't require clambering up rocks or cliffs. Which throws up another quandary, you want a boat with enough fuel capacity to get from Welshpool to Flinders Island and back in order to have enough reserve for just in case, that's roughly 370km range needed with all the gear loaded. That in itself rules out the majority of standard production trailer boats. And they're relatively large islands, you ain't fishing one side in the morning and then the other in the evening...

The advantages are the ability to wade across to Dover Island from Erith Island on all but high tide, isolation while remaining "only" 60km from some normal society at Flinders Island plus the caretakers on Deal. Multiple landing sites including West cove on Erith, east cove with it's jetty, and garden cove on Deal providing opportunity for change and the steep drop offs both between the islands and on the outskirts screaming pelagics

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:34 pm

I’ve done end to end Raymond island a few times as a kid just walking around whilst staying at my nans in paynesville. Just google earth’d deal island. Looks very similar in size.

But yeah that kind of trip needs a very serious boat. Or be Joel in his little cootacraft ram. Did you see that one cobby? Recently fished something like 70kms west of the northern tip of king island leaving from Sorrento. 420km round trip. In a 4m rig. Bloody legend/madman

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:29 pm

cobby wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:57 pm
What Gultch said about Hogan with that very small beach. But there is not a whole lot else on there. Otherwise you've got Erith and Deal as basically the only other islands that offer enough protection to safely land with the predominately SW Bass Strait swell that doesn't require clambering up rocks or cliffs. Which throws up another quandary, you want a boat with enough fuel capacity to get from Welshpool to Flinders Island and back in order to have enough reserve for just in case, that's roughly 370km range needed with all the gear loaded. That in itself rules out the majority of standard production trailer boats. And they're relatively large islands, you ain't fishing one side in the morning and then the other in the evening...

The advantages are the ability to wade across to Dover Island from Erith Island on all but high tide, isolation while remaining "only" 60km from some normal society at Flinders Island plus the caretakers on Deal. Multiple landing sites including West cove on Erith, east cove with it's jetty, and garden cove on Deal providing opportunity for change and the steep drop offs both between the islands and on the outskirts screaming pelagics
That's the experience and knowledge I'm talking about

I can do about 400 km in my boat ....but then I have 4 25 liters jerries as emergency fuel.

Bm

Return to “Fishing Charters and Boat Hire”