Boat hire for island drops

Fishing charters and hire boats around Melbourne and Victoria
LoneTraveller
Has liked: 10 times

Boat hire for island drops

Post by LoneTraveller » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:45 am

Hi everyone,

Writing for the long shot! But I’m sure other ppl have thought about it!

Does anyone provide boat trips to islands close to the Victorian coast for LBG? Could it be arranged? Has anyone done it before? Any caveats?

Willing to go alone or with a group of LBG enthusiasts for a whole day or more depending on circumstances (work, weather...etc).

(Plans to consider after easing off COV restriction )
:vy:

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Boat hire for island drops

Post by Kimtown » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:07 am

Most people walk/climb in, as I assume taking a boat in kind defeats the purpose of LGB in the first place? I could easily do this for you however if you’re interested

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:51 am

Find someone with a boat, and ask them to drop you for some $. I'm eyeballing a spot on the east side of the Prom to do exactly this next kingie season.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:06 am

It would require a lot of thinking and a trusted skipper not to mention probably need a sat phone or garmin inreach or similar. Otherwise how do you organise pickup in inclement weather or if you hurt yourself.

LoneTraveller

Post by LoneTraveller » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:51 pm

ducky wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:06 am
It would require a lot of thinking and a trusted skipper not to mention probably need a sat phone or garmin inreach or similar. Otherwise how do you organise pickup in inclement weather or if you hurt yourself.

You are quite right there re planning and preparation. Hopefully, a team approach would solve that and bring things together here in VIC.

Hopefully no one gets hurt but the plan is to get a PBL as part of essential rock fishing safety gear. Sat phone would be ideal hey! I’ll have to look into it and check how much they cost.

And Dougie, I’ve read most of your threads on LBG. Great stuff! Keeping a close eye!
Cracking the code!

LoneTraveller

Post by LoneTraveller » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:12 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:07 am
Most people walk/climb in, as I assume taking a boat in kind defeats the purpose of LGB in the first place? I could easily do this for you however if you’re interested
Sounds like you’re up to it mate! 👍🏼 Let’s exchange contacts and we will work out a deal.

It’s a matter of getting access to deeper water from shore and explore unfished territories. King fish from my understanding inhabit the shore line where food and shelter is readily available. And, it’s not quite safe to anchor a boat right close to rock formations. It’s an advantage that I would like to advantage off bearing all the extra effort attached to it.
Cracking the code!

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:46 pm

DougieK wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:51 am
Find someone with a boat, and ask them to drop you for some $. I'm eyeballing a spot on the east side of the Prom to do exactly this next kingie season.
Ive done this a few times on islands before...sometimes to drop people off and sometimes to collect oysters

The problem can be getting off the boat onto the rocks .

You have to get off the boat (,On my boat you stand on the casting platform at the front.) At exactly the right time

The person needs to jump off and the driver needs to reverse in good timing together.

The swell and slippery rocks are allways two concerns.

It's not something you would do with inexperienced people.

But its clearly possible with the right prople

Fiberglass boats won't handle mistakes like my plate boat eithier.

LoneTraveller

Post by LoneTraveller » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:10 pm

barra mick wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:46 pm
DougieK wrote:
Ive done this a few times on islands before...sometimes to drop people off and sometimes to collect oysters

You have to get off the boat (,On my boat you stand on the casting platform at the front.) At exactly the right time

The person needs to jump off and the driver needs to reverse in good timing together.

Seems like this is getting serious! Thanks for your reply man!

If you have done this before and willing to do it again, please leave your contact details so we can negotiate something when the time comes. Either on this thread or PM.

Not willing to hit it when the waves are raging! A slow rolling swell should make the landing much easier! But, hey
we take risks everyday and this is no different, it’s part of the deal!
Cracking the code!

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:30 pm

LoneTraveller wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:10 pm
barra mick wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:46 pm
DougieK wrote:

Seems like this is getting serious! Thanks for your reply man!

If you have done this before and willing to do it again, please leave your contact details so we can negotiate something when the time comes. Either on this thread or PM.

Not willing to hit it when the waves are raging! A slow rolling swell should make the landing much easier! But, hey
we take risks everyday and this is no different, it’s part of the deal!
If its not your vessel who's taking the risk
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:50 pm

What islands are you thinking about anyway? Can’t see a pickup and drop off at a remote island being cheap in any way.

If it was something you were seriously looking at doing regularly and the islands are relatively close then for all the rooting around you’re better off just getting a banged up little tinny and beaching it/anchoring in the shallows near land on whatever the island is.

Return to “Fishing Charters and Boat Hire”