Emeraldas Air LT 2018 Model

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Emeraldas Air LT 2018 Model

Post by Andrews » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:04 pm

Picked up a second hand Emeraldas Air LT 2018 Model for cheap $100.

Mechanically the reel works perfectly, and cosmetically there are a few paint chips but I'm alright with that.
Gave it a meticulous clean last week, cleaning the full external and bearing housings to remove any dirt, grime, etc. Cleaned up nicely.
Grease was good, no visible rust anywhere. Oiled the line roller and handle.

Friend at Daiwa who previously worked in repairs recommended checking the 'Magsealed' aluminum sticker below the spool as with age/exposure the adhesive can breakdown. Noticed this adhesive wasn't sticking and the sticker has partly became unstuck. Called Daiwa repairs and they said that in the shop they clean the adhesive and surface before using a thin layer of epoxy to re-adhere the sticker. Added a small line of epoxy over the butt-join of the stickers to help prevent future peeling.

Anyone have any other recommendations for maintenance?

I also have noted that the emeraldas teal colour is difference between the 2018 & 2019 models, the 2019 is much lighter almost a faded blue.
IMG_1217.jpeg
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Re: Emeraldas Air LT 2018 Model

Post by Sneaky1 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:25 pm

Just curious - are the gears different in these squid reels? 6.2x seems common nowdays.
Amazing looking things, yet to figure out the double handle design.

Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Sneaky1 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:26 pm

Is the secondary spindle for your thumb brake?

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:00 am

$100 is a bargain.
I have few Daiwa reels and would never touch the ones with magseal, haha, too scared to break it and would end up cost me more to fix.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:11 pm

That's a great question about the gear ratio's as there has been a great diversity of ratios used within the DAIWA Emeraldas series.

The Emeraldas 2508PE 16 has a 4.8 or 5.6 gear ratio.

The Emeraldas MX 17 2508PE has a 4.8 gear ratio.

This Emeraldas AIR LT 18 has a 6.2 gear ratio.

The Emeraldas LT 19 3000-C-DH & Emeraldas LT 19 3000-CH-DH both came in either a 5.3, or 5.6 gear ratio respectively.

The newer model 20 Emeraldas X LT & 21 Emeraldas AIR FC LT are now built with a lower 5.1 gear ratio.

The newer model are in-line with the other Daiwa models, boasting that 5.1 standard gear ratio, heck the 22 Exist in 2500 are only 5.1

Yeah, so that hollow blue attachment on the right side of the reel is custom reel stand, which has a small hook holder and auto acts as a counter weight balancing out the double handle's weight.

The double handle is very much a personal preference, I really enjoy using when chasing squid.

----------------------------

Cheers Sebb, and I absolutely agree! I wouldn't dare take apart the magsealed unit because that's just asking for trouble.

This repair re-adhering the sticker was all external work, didn't have to take anything off as the sticker is stuck to the reels body with a plastic intermediate. I removed the plastic intermediate which was complete unstuck and recommended by Daiwa, and simply used a q-tip to add a very thin later of epoxy along the indented grooved which runs the length of the body. I pressed the aluminum sticker down and pulled tight towards the seam. I cleaned up any excess adhesive with a dry cloth.

The seam is at the front of the reel above the anti-reverse lever and is has two small dots of epoxy when new. I replaced this with a thin line of epoxy closing up the seam to prevent anything getting under. When done correctly the 'MAGSEALLED' text should be at the 3 and 9 positions where the seam is 12.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Return to “Show us your purchases”