Post by SparkyUK » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:01 pm

Nice job gratz

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Fun at the Gun 14/12

Post by FishnMiss » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:57 pm

adtrac wrote:
FishnMiss wrote:Nice catch :thumbsup:
I presume you were using a metal lure, what weight (20 or 40g) & what hook do you use (single, treble)?
How far were you casting into the channel, about 40/50 metres?
Do you and Carl use Soft plastics for Salmon ever, or do they smash them too hard?
Nice report, Thanks :a_goodjob:
For gunners I wouldn't personally use anything less than 40g and I remove the trebles and swap them for singles.
With a favourable wind we are getting 100+ meters spinning the beaches is all about covering as much of the beach as possible its really just cast as far as you can as often as you can to increase your chances of finding the fish
Thanks for that.
I think I'll have to come watch you & Carl at work (like Jim says "The Pro's) :a_goodjob:
I've never used a lure but would like to, based on the reports I keep reading from you & Carl (&1 or 2 others).
I've also just started fishing on my shorter rods with braid for whiting. So even braid is new to me and had to dial down the casting yesterday as I was overshooting my whiting spots :doh1:
If you use braid with a lure do the fish not see the line?
Thanks.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:35 pm

FishnMiss wrote:
adtrac wrote:
FishnMiss wrote:Nice catch :thumbsup:
I presume you were using a metal lure, what weight (20 or 40g) & what hook do you use (single, treble)?
How far were you casting into the channel, about 40/50 metres?
Do you and Carl use Soft plastics for Salmon ever, or do they smash them too hard?
Nice report, Thanks :a_goodjob:
For gunners I wouldn't personally use anything less than 40g and I remove the trebles and swap them for singles.
With a favourable wind we are getting 100+ meters spinning the beaches is all about covering as much of the beach as possible its really just cast as far as you can as often as you can to increase your chances of finding the fish
Thanks for that.
I think I'll have to come watch you & Carl at work (like Jim says "The Pro's) :a_goodjob:
I've never used a lure but would like to, based on the reports I keep reading from you & Carl (&1 or 2 others).
I've also just started fishing on my shorter rods with braid for whiting. So even braid is new to me and had to dial down the casting yesterday as I was overshooting my whiting spots :doh1:
If you use braid with a lure do the fish not see the line?
Thanks.
The normal practice is to use about 5 or 600mm of flourocarbon leader in front of your lure, but in all honesty, I know several people who run braid straight through, and still catch salmon. They are an instinct hunter, something flashes past them in the water, they'll generally have a go at it, I liken it to a person putting their hand on something hot, you instictively pull your hand away, you don't think about it..braid is fantastic for lure fishing, as your lure may be 80 or 90mtrs away, and you'll still feel every little tap transmitted up the line..

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks Carl.
I'm looking forward to trying out a lure with braid.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:16 pm

great catch ads! Carl your getting a bit of competition in your back yard lol.

adtrac

Post by adtrac » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:06 pm

poodoo wrote:great catch ads! Carl your getting a bit of competition in your back yard lol.
Thanks, I'm just renting it off him. Hope I don't have to mow it its a huge yard!!!

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:40 pm

Good catch! was out on Saturday but the wind was too strong, tried for a good 3-4 hours walking up and down the beach to no avail. Will have another crack this weekend.

mazman
Has liked: 138 times

Post by mazman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:44 pm

skuxliss wrote:Good catch! was out on Saturday but the wind was too strong, tried for a good 3-4 hours walking up and down the beach to no avail. Will have another crack this weekend.
atm sunday morning would be my pick for the weekend but it's a bit far out for the forecasts to be accurate.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:03 pm

@mazman, still think Sunday is the go for this weekend? Might be heading out to Stoney's point tomorrow morning try some squid then out to Gunna'a in the arvo for a bit of luck..

mazman
Has liked: 138 times

Post by mazman » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:18 pm

Sunday morning is still my pick. under 1m of swell with an offshore wind is what you're looking for
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”