Apollo Bay - 20/01 - PM/AM

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Apollo Bay - 20/01 - PM/AM

Post by StarrangerAU » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:41 am

After spending the the past few weeks in and around PBB chasing under-size Pinkies and Whiting I had a mind to run down to Apollo Bay and chase something bigger if I could.

The plan was to arrive at the pier around midnight and catch the 12pm high tide, take a nap in the car for an hour, and then catch sun-up. Well the best laid plans always go to waste.... I think I caught 3-4 different species of larg'ish rays in the space of 45 mins of arriving. Must have been a convention on in the bay so I packed up by 1am and went and napped in the car. I have since made a note to myself to swear off fishing AB at night.

Come 5am I park myself out on the pier and 3 lines go out cause I have the whole place to myself. I am throwing curses at the one small seal ...... and then... complete massive turbulence..... the water churns white, 4-5 seals and a school of what I can only imagine was salmon but I could not be certain (silver body/yellow tail) , and they're not small either, these fish all were 50cm plus and there were 100's of them. I had a ringside seat watching them go about in circles and then swiftly changing to another direction...fantastic stuff. The seals had obviously rounded them up and pushed them towards the light of the pier. After watching with excitement for minute, just as quick as they arrived they were gone, and so were the seals. When the excitement wore off, it was back to me, my lines, and no bites...

By 7am the sun is higher, still no bites. But I can see over on the rock-wall another fellow landing fish off the rock-wall. Bugger this, I'm going over there..... I have never been out on this rock-wall before, and I have to say its not the most accessible I have ever been too. Tips for folk wishing to try it out. Wear suit for purpose footwear, 12 foot rods recommended, take some aggi pipe for your rod(s), & take a friend if you can.

With a little extra effort comes reward... several Salmon landed all at 40 cm, plus some great hook ups that did not seat themselves proper. A small disappointment that I lost the biggest at 50cm(?) in the rocks during landing. The pier is no more, weather permitting this is where I will fish when I come to Apollo Bay from now on.

PS. Be prepared to lose some tackle on the rocks or with large rays. I must have lost almost 8-9 rigs on that trip
Last edited by StarrangerAU on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluewater81
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Apollo Bay - 20/01 - PM/AM

Post by bluewater81 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:08 am

At least you gave it a crack, not many would have so kudos to you for trying, next time!

Mustang38
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Mustang38 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:31 am

Great report pal. Got some fish. Had a adventure and saw something you haven’t seen before in seals smashing salmon. Sound like a great outing.

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:15 am

That's the beauty of fishing, you never know what's going to happen!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:19 am

Nice report mate.
I love that place. Gotta get back there sometime soon :)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:00 am

Awesome site when that happens.
Fishing plans never go the way we want lol.

At least you got something.

j_pap

Post by j_pap » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:35 am

Trial and error thats the way to go. Now you know for next time.

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”