Gummy

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
Ryguy
Has liked: 13 times

Gummy

Post by Ryguy » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:03 pm

Hello fellow fishos,

Went trolling for Tuna and Kingfish out of Barwon Heads yesterday with no luck unfortunately and didn't see much on the sounder either. After a few hours I decided to anchor up (38 18.999S - 144 29.989E) back straight out from the bluff in 36m of water.... with a full moon coming in the next week and no flake in the freezer I decided it would be a good idea to target gummys. Got some burley going and sabiki rigs in the water (7m and 15m) first and within minutes I had 6 or 7 slimys on deck and my absolute favorite bait, p noster rigs and 5/0 hooks with cubed and fillited baits. I always cut up the mackerel frames and heads into small pieces and chuck them over every 3 or 4 minutes as much as possible.... I find the more the better, yes you do draw in far more rays and other sharks but i always seem to catch gummys more times then not. In the first hour I was very busy with banjos, rays, port jacksons and a seven gill who tangled everything but in the second hour a short run and typical head shakes I had a gummy on deck followed by only minutes later a daddy gummy. Success! I always gut and cut the head to the point where its only attached from the skin on top and covered in ice asap.
Worth a mention this mark resulted in not a single parody or bluethroat bait thief the entire day.

Tight lines everyone and stay safe
Attachments
IMG_5096.jpeg
IMG_5097.jpeg
IMG_5094.jpeg

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Re: Gummy

Post by e.welch » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:52 pm

Ryguy wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:03 pm
Hello fellow fishos,

Went trolling for Tuna and Kingfish out of Barwon Heads yesterday with no luck unfortunately and didn't see much on the sounder either. After a few hours I decided to anchor up (38 18.999S - 144 29.989E) back straight out from the bluff in 36m of water.... with a full moon coming in the next week and no flake in the freezer I decided it would be a good idea to target gummys. Got some burley going and sabiki rigs in the water (7m and 15m) first and within minutes I had 6 or 7 slimys on deck and my absolute favorite bait, p noster rigs and 5/0 hooks with cubed and fillited baits. I always cut up the mackerel frames and heads into small pieces and chuck them over every 3 or 4 minutes as much as possible.... I find the more the better, yes you do draw in far more rays and other sharks but i always seem to catch gummys more times then not. In the first hour I was very busy with banjos, rays, port jacksons and a seven gill who tangled everything but in the second hour a short run and typical head shakes I had a gummy on deck followed by only minutes later a daddy gummy. Success! I always gut and cut the head to the point where its only attached from the skin on top and covered in ice asap.
Worth a mention this mark resulted in not a single parody or bluethroat bait thief the entire day.

That’s a solid gumbo mate

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:13 pm

Another fantastic report...are you using circle hooks?

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:40 pm

Great stuff, nice gummies.
Reckon it's a bit early for tuna/king?
Charters don't start kingfish til Jan or even Feb.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:06 pm

Kool Fush

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:08 pm

Awesome gummy 👍🏻

Ryguy

Post by Ryguy » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:59 pm

Sebb wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:40 pm
Great stuff, nice gummies.
Reckon it's a bit early for tuna/king?
Charters don't start kingfish til Jan or even Feb.
I've started this time of year for the past 5 or 6 years as it seems they are definitely around but can be hard to come by. They are in smaller numbers and tend to be mostly rats 50cm / 80cm. I do have some luck most years with early season catches and can avoid the mayhem for the most part when it really fires up. My most productive areas early on are charlemont Reef and the wrecks. I received word the Tuna were at hmas canberra later in the day.

Ryguy

Post by Ryguy » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:02 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:13 pm
Another fantastic report...are you using circle hooks?
Always.Gamakatsu, i'm happy to pay the little extra for quality hooks.

Ryguy

Post by Ryguy » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:26 pm

Ryguy wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:03 pm
Hello fellow fishos,

Ocean Grove Charters just reported to Trellys Geelong they caught up to 15kg tuna off Barwon Heads yesterday.
Let the games begin

Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Post by Joker91 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:04 am

Great report and even better catch!!

What size circle hooks do you usually have on and how do you set up your line?

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”