Clifton Springs

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
Matty H

Clifton Springs

Post by Matty H » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:41 pm

Have been out off Clifton springs a few times over Summer, with a nice snapper, a few good pinkies and flatties of varying sizes, whilst sprucing up my boat - new trailer, re-jigged anchoring system with the ezi-lay system making both anchor setting and retrieval much easier and enabling bridling, addition of a 6 rod rocket launcher, new gps/sounder, and finally an outboard service - funny thing, I’d noticed I was going through more fuel than normal, mechanic asked if I’d noted less power - I hadn’t. Anyway, go to pick up the boat, he showed me the reason - the bush around the prop shaft had shattered, maybe 20 pieces! I couldn’t believe it could still work, let alone push the boat along like it had been (2006 75 2stroke pushing a 4.75m stacer baymaster).
Anyway..., wanted to see how it went yesterday, so out off the springs in the early arvo, gale force northeast wind...., punched out just past the mussel farm, anchored, burleyed, and had fun catching and releasing hordes of small pinkies, and plenty of solid flatties. Used pillies and fresh flatty fillets. Threw some soft plastics around for zip, but I’m no expert on those. Gotta say, the mechanic nailed it. Actually noticed the motor heaps better, more power at lower revs..., reckon I dodged a bullet there, motor could have easily shat itself at any time, most likely 6k’s off Torquay...
Big trip coming up in a couple of weeks, heading to Waratah bay for a week with brother in laws. Anyone been out there recently?

Cheers, Mat

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Clifton Springs

Post by bowl » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:37 am

Was heading to wedge when my prop bush shat itself in january.
Anchored caught some whiting and it was walking pace back to ramp , at least 3 k.
Dunno if we would made it it wasnt dead flat conditions.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Re: Clifton Springs

Post by fishnut » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:44 am

Good reason to remove prop once a year to grease shaft,lube seal and inspect prop bush

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”