Which spot in Barwon Heads can i go for Crabbing?

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
Oukakin

Which spot in Barwon Heads can i go for Crabbing?

Post by Oukakin » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:36 am

Hi Everyone!

New to this forum, I really would like to find spots around Victoria that I can go crabbing without the need to go Lakes Entrance.

Barwon Heads was advised to me to be a decent town to try crabbing, however I have no idea which spot to start.

1. If anyone has had any experience fishing/crabbing in Barwon Heads - Can you please recommend me a spot to try?
2. Any other spots around victoria you recommend to give crabbing a try - (Not lakes Entrance - Too far).

Cheers,
Tom

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Re: Which spot in Barwon Heads can i go for Crabbing?

Post by Andrews » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:13 pm

Welcome Oukakin!

This is a great question and a tricky one, Barwon Heads offers some great opportunities for catching Sand Crabs the only issue is finding water deep enough to be outside of the intertidal zone.

The Barwon Heads Pier is good and around 2M+ depending on tide and has plenty of sand crabs. You can also try for the salmon, trevally and tailor around or even some squid.

St Leonards Pier is another option, I've caught a few crabs here but they are a lot less plentiful that Barwon Heads. This pier has more squid, but less fish right now. Plenty of mackerel and scad at night, few pike and trev's around.

Hope this helps!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:43 pm

Plenty sand crabs at barwonheads like 5 years ago. Haven't seen any around for a while now. They've probably moved on. I've landed a few at Venus Bay while surf fishing

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:21 am

I used to see people crabbing at night there, just off the main pier. I don't even know if it's legal but they used to fill up buckets full

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:11 am

Not Barwon heads but Inverloch is good for sand crabs and is about half the distance of lakes entrance. Also pretty much anywhere off the surf beaches to the east but harder to do with a crab net.

Oukakin

Post by Oukakin » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:01 pm

Thank you everyone for your comments and recommendations! This has been helpful so far.

Got some follow up questions about crabbing:
1. Is it better to go extra early in the morning or at night? --> Low vs High Tides?
2. For Barwon heads - where is this main pier? I tried googling but it keeps leading me to "At the Heads" which is a restaurant. But it see on google maps that there is a jetty there - Is that the one?
3. For Inverloch, any particular spots? I googled and found "Inverloich Jetty"?

Really appreciate the responses so far!

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:31 pm

Oukakin wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:01 pm
Thank you everyone for your comments and recommendations! This has been helpful so far.

1. Is it better to go extra early in the morning or at night? --> Low vs High Tides?
2. For Barwon heads - where is this main pier? I tried googling but it keeps leading me to "At the Heads" which is a restaurant. But it see on google maps that there is a jetty there - Is that the one?

Inverloch jetty. Best at high tide around change of tide. Full moon. Time of day doesn't matter too much.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:19 am

Oukakin wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:01 pm

Yes, the pier at the restuarant, no idea about tides but it was always at night and they were using nets

Oukakin

Post by Oukakin » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:13 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I will take a trip to either Inverloch Jetty or Barwon Heads main pier as my next trip. (either one).

Keen to hear of any other crabbing locations!

plasmo
Has liked: 3 times

Post by plasmo » Mon May 03, 2021 6:29 pm

I've tried crabbing in Barwon heads a couple of years ago. Stayed there for a few hours during high tide. Caught... one very small one lol.

Tried again last year. Caught 0.

Recently went to Inverloch. Tried for 2 hours. Caught 0.

Went to Lakes Entrance over the weekend for 2 hours. Caught 10 MASSIVE (bigger than my hand) ones in 2 hours.

Heard there were crabs in Lorne as well. Might bring a crab net next time I head to Lorne pier for some general fishing lol. Not sure if good idea or not.

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”