carp at Shepperton lake

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

carp at Shepperton lake

Post by fisho999 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:59 pm

hey all,
at Shepp lake today with my bait caster, hoping for a yella or a cod. fished with spinners and soft plastics. saw lots of turtles and surprisingly a lot of carp. I had never seen carp clearly in water before and the water clarity was excellent. tried to temp a few with soft plastic but I assume they were too big. one carp kept taking my lure but only swallowed the tail. I will return with my 2-4 kilo spin rod and some small topwater soft plastics to try and get them.
any one ever caught a carp on lures before?

thanks, fisho999

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Re: carp at Shepperton lake

Post by Cornacarpio » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:08 pm

I've caught the grand total of one carp on lure (Ecogear SX40). Was foul hooked. Went 80 cms though :)

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:36 pm

fisho999 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:59 pm
hey all,
at Shepp lake today with my bait caster, hoping for a yella or a cod. fished with spinners and soft plastics. saw lots of turtles and surprisingly a lot of carp. I had never seen carp clearly in water before and the water clarity was excellent. tried to temp a few with soft plastic but I assume they were too big. one carp kept taking my lure but only swallowed the tail. I will return with my 2-4 kilo spin rod and some small topwater soft plastics to try and get them.
any one ever caught a carp on lures before?

thanks, fisho999
I have caught them on tiny surface poppers before. But they were also trying to eat my float beforehand, so I don’t really think it was the lure itself - I think it was just something there for the carp to try and eat. I hear carp are good fun on fly fishing gear, using a bread imitation fly. I haven’t got around to trying that yet. Also saw a carp hooked on a nymph fly when fishing the upper Howqua. The light fly tippet was no match for the big carp. It can be done, just need to figure out how to fool them.

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:14 pm

caught them on 50-65mm deep divers trolling a few times, pretty rare though.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:35 am

Lightly or unweighted grubs barely worked and allowed to slowly sink at sighted fish. White is obviously dynamite. Old school Berkley bulky hawgs go alright too if you can find any. Sight the fish, cast over the fish, bring the lure back near the fish, allow it to slowly sink or suspend depending on type of lure and then strike when it inhales. More fun than Snapper fishing and they go like stink on light line.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:17 pm

You actually forget how much fun these things are on 2-4kg gear. First few were on clear with blue glitter minnow style 2 1/2 inch plastics on old weedless jigheads due to the shallow rocky area, even when it was tied straight to the braid in the end before getting sick of re-rigging and swapping to bread. You can see from the hook up on one it had spat it back out already by the time I went to sink the hook in. Only about 50-65cm fish so they weren't insane monsters by any stretch.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1673611801389.jpg
FB_IMG_1673611812057.jpg

Return to “Other Species”