what gear do you take carp fishing?

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

what gear do you take carp fishing?

Post by fisho999 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:54 pm

hey all,

as you may know, I do a fair amount of carp fishing and just wanted to compare what we all take when we target carp. also, stories or tips that you would like to share, PBs as well. or just general carp fishing.

I usually take my 5-kilo handlines, sometimes a rod but I find that handlines get more bites for some reason. I use a simple rig, I put a medium sinker on my mainline, and crimp a split shot under the sinker so it can run freely along the mainline. I then slide the split shot up the mainline so I have a sort of leader made out of the mainline. I tie a circle hook onto the mainline / leader and use corn for bait. usually, I will have 2 handlines out, one to my left and one to my right. sometimes I will have a lure rod and only put 1 hand line out.

something I have noticed on my many carp expeditions is that if you see bubbles rising in the water, it means there are carp feeding or turtles. but usually, it is carp and I have caught some stonker carp by casting into the bubbles.

one time when I was fishing Benalla lake, I had my 13-kilo handline out, and it went crazy. I was using corn as bait and the fish took 20 meters of line of the spool in around 10 seconds while I was fumbling with the hand line. by the time I had the hand line under control, the line was around 50 meters out in the water. that's when I decided to be mega smart and pull back on the line like a genius :oo: . the line ended up breaking and I think it was because of a bad knot, but I had some cheap $7 line on the handline so that might have been it.

I ended up catching 3 carp that day, one being my PB ( 78 cm, 4 kilos).

can't wait to hear some of your tips, stories and setups :tu:
fisho999

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: what gear do you take carp fishing?

Post by hornet » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:14 pm

Crimping split shot onto a heavy outfit rig / rod is not a good idea, split shot is primarily for light outfits meant for light rigs such for mullet,trout, roach redfin, garfish etc. For an extended leader a swivel is much stronger. Split shot will damage the line and weaken it considerably when used for heavy fishing.
( This reference is to Mono line )
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

fisho999

Post by fisho999 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:29 pm

hornet wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:14 pm
Crimping split shot onto a heavy outfit rig / rod is not a good idea, split shot is primarily for light outfits meant for light rigs such for mullet,trout, roach redfin, garfish etc. For an extended leader a swivel is much stronger. Split shot will damage the line and weaken it considerably when used for heavy fishing.
( This reference is to Mono line )
I have been told this before, by Sebb I think, but I have never had any trouble with it. I understand how it would affect the strengh of the line by putting a kind of dent or nick in it but for the kind of fishing I am doing it hasn't affected me whatsoever. that's why I started this thread, so I could see what works for other people.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:53 pm

My carp gear is ultra light stuff.
1-3kg nibble tip rod, 8lb line, running sinker (smallest sinker possible) or sometimes no sinker at all. #2 hook. 2000 or 2500 reel. Bread, worms or corn. That's it.
Caught a 5.5kg mirror carp on that outfit and rig, took a while to land, had so much fun.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

fisho999

Post by fisho999 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:19 pm

I have a Sedona UL with 6lb mono on it, would that be worth a try?

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:22 pm

fisho999 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:19 pm
I have a Sedona UL with 6lb mono on it, would that be worth a try?
Definitely
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Other Species”