Tier 1 Carp Contact

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Tier 1 Carp Contact

Post by Charles7 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:00 pm

A mate and I got out for a fish today since the weather was nice, hitting up a spot we know can produce a few carp. Water clarity was pretty good and we could see plenty of fish swimming about, including a vibrant orange goldfish that had grown to a fair size and a slightly smaller koi with a mottled black back and a nice orange belly. He went with cheese on a running sinker rig and I went with unweighted bread, initially with a swivel and then without one. While active with each other, the carp didn't want to play with us, doing laps of the little pool and chasing one another, swimming right over our baits. I threw in some burley and tossed some corn in with it as well to get them going, but they still weren't interested. I tried corn for bait, whacked on a float, and drifted bread crust on the current. I got a couple of fumbles from smaller models that had come to pick at my bait but missed both strikes. Eventually I went back to my initial strategy, but this time used only a pinch of bread rolled into a tight little ball.

Then my rod went off.

I've taken to fishing for carp with an open bail arm to avoid having my rod pulled into the drink, so line just started peeling from my reel. I picked up the rod and closed the arm and got caught in a 6-minute arm wrestle with this fella. I probably could've had him on the bank sooner but since we'd forgotten to bring a landing net, I wanted to play it safe and made sure the bugger was absolutely knackered before bringing it in close. Having lost too many carp at the bank over the years, I ended up standing in the creek to pick it out of the water rather than lift in onto the bank.

This is my PB carp (and my PB overall as well). Came in at 69cm, although in my excitement I thought it was going to be 75+. Didn't think to weigh it until it was already disposed of, but if I had to hazard a guess, it probably weighed about 3kg, if not a little more.

Only fish of the day and considering my last 3 trips had been 'donut days', I was pretty stoked. Now to crack the 70 mark....
Attachments
PBCarp69cm.jpg

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Tier 1 Carp Contact

Post by Sebb » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:01 pm

Nice well done :tu:
Yeah those donut trips can easily be erased with a good catch.

My mate had to do the same when he hooked onto a 4kg carp from monee pond creek. He caught it on 1-3kg rod and 2000 reel, while the creek was like 1.5m wide and a foot deep, lol. He jumped into the creek and chased the fish, hugged and banked.

That and what you just did, is the kinda memories that stays for a long time.

I'm planning to do some carp fishing next week. Will takey 1-3kg rod, wish me luck, haha.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:46 pm

Sebb wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:01 pm
Nice well done :tu:
Yeah those donut trips can easily be erased with a good catch.

My mate had to do the same when he hooked onto a 4kg carp from monee pond creek. He caught it on 1-3kg rod and 2000 reel, while the creek was like 1.5m wide and a foot deep, lol. He jumped into the creek and chased the fish, hugged and banked.

That and what you just did, is the kinda memories that stays for a long time.

I'm planning to do some carp fishing next week. Will takey 1-3kg rod, wish me luck, haha.
Hard to keep some of those bigger units from making a mad dash for cover in some of the narrower creeks and streams. Good luck and let us know how you go.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:48 am

Congrats on the new PB mate.
Good luck with cracking the 70+
Cheers 👍🏻

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:06 pm

Charles7 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:00 pm
This is my PB carp (and my PB overall as well). Came in at 69cm, although in my excitement I thought it was going to be 75+.

Now to crack the 70 mark....
I know that feeling!

Return to “Other Species”