Brown trout stocking ideology

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Fisho11
Has liked: 2 times

Brown trout stocking ideology

Post by Fisho11 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:56 pm

G'day all.
Im currently writing a report for uni on Brown trout and the management plans in place for them.
Its got me thinking a bit as along with rainbow trout they are one of few if not the only introduced species that are stocked in waterways.
There is also little research about the effects they have on native populations.
I thought it would be interesting to see peoples thoughts on this.
Cheers
Thyson

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Brown trout stocking ideology

Post by 4liters » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:01 pm

Might as well be stocking carp if they’re going to stock trout.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:14 pm

I’m not fussed regarding the trout stocking. However I’m glad fisheries have finally pulled their heads out of their collective arses by stocking cod “outside of their native range”

They’ve stocked trout for decades but wouldn't stock a native where they weren’t originally found. Made no sense.

My thoughts are if a good angling native species can be stocked it should be first and foremost. The non natives can be stocked as a secondary

Fisho11

Post by Fisho11 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:08 pm

ducky wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:14 pm
I’m not fussed regarding the trout stocking. However I’m glad fisheries have finally pulled their heads out of their collective arses by stocking cod “outside of their native range”

They’ve stocked trout for decades but wouldn't stock a native where they weren’t originally found. Made no sense.

My thoughts are if a good angling native species can be stocked it should be first and foremost. The non natives can be stocked as a secondary
it would be interesting to see what would happen if trout cod were restocked into some "troutstreams like the upper ovens and above lake buffalo/ William hovel as there's quite accounts of Trout cod naturally occurring there pre 1930s.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:43 pm

Not sure if there are academic studies already done, but surely there would have been few articles about it in the past decades.
I think if its enclosed lakes, the trout stocking probably won't make as much 'damage', as compared to rivers and streams where they can breed.

They like cold clear mountain streams, where blackfish can be found. So they might be competing and eating each other young ones.

I'd be interested to read academic studies about it narrowed down to habitats.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:50 pm

There's a few galaxias species that are very endangered due to trout. I don't know if trout are stocked in those particular catchments or if it's a self sustaining population but they definitely harm smaller native fish.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:16 pm

Trout definitely eat small Blackfish - and I am sure the reverse. When I was a teenager (a lonnnnnnnnnnng time back when my attitude to natives was very different) in the Glenelg upstream of Casterton a small "slimey" under a bubble float was just as good as a minnow in attracting both Brown and Rainbow Trout as well as the occasional Redfin.

Fisho11

Post by Fisho11 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:09 pm

4liters wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:50 pm
There's a few galaxias species that are very endangered due to trout. I don't know if trout are stocked in those particular catchments or if it's a self sustaining population but they definitely harm smaller native fish.
Ive heard my grandfather tell me he used to have a mate who caught scores of blackfish in the creeks around the Grampians most of which fish well for trout now days, I've never caught a blackfish out of there personally. not sure if its the regulated flows or predation from trout and redfin.

Fisho11

Post by Fisho11 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:12 pm

Sebb wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:43 pm
Not sure if there are academic studies already done, but surely there would have been few articles about it in the past decades.
I think if its enclosed lakes, the trout stocking probably won't make as much 'damage', as compared to rivers and streams where they can breed.

They like cold clear mountain streams, where blackfish can be found. So they might be competing and eating each other young ones.

I'd be interested to read academic studies about it narrowed down to habitats.
I haven't found much yet in terms of Australian Studies but there are quite a few American studies that have been done, the predation levels on native smaller species was high as well as native crustaceans which can be expected.
Theres also an interesting study on how trout impact frogs populations in Tasmania.

Fisho11

Post by Fisho11 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:47 pm

ducky wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:14 pm

Return to “Other Species”