Upper Coliban Reservoir Report

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Upper Coliban Reservoir Report

Post by smile0784 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:26 pm

Charles7 wrote:Gave the Upper Coliban a crack yesterday evening from 4:30pm to 7:15pm. Warm, calm and overcast, the conditions were almost opposite to those I fished in on Boxing Day (hot, windy, sunny). The fishing itself was also quite different, landing 5 redfin (the biggest at 25cm) and 4 carp (the biggest coming in at 43cm and 1kg). All the carp were taken on the bottom on corn (surprise surprise) and the reddies were also taken on the bottom but on worms. A couple of young blokes near me were pulling in carp after carp too, and while landing quite a few between them, had also lost plenty of the buggers as well.

Went again this morning from 10am to 12pm and was very quiet but much to my surprise I landed a nice little rainbow trout that took the rod I had set aside for carp. It was 27cm and while maybe big enough to take home and fry up, I threw it back to fight another day. Aside from the trout I landed one tiny reddie on a dead minnow of some sort that a group of fishermen had left behind earlier. Called it at a day at 12 because it was too quiet and starting to warm up too much for my liking.
Great report mate

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:27 pm

Boonanza wrote:Well we went there yesterday afternoon and fished till almost dark. The conditions were very calm with a little rain on and off. Not a great deal was happening only one small reddie on a lure the whole time. I got bored and started turning over a few rocks to see if I could find some yabbies but instead found plenty of worms so we tried a different tactic of worms under a bubble float which I haven't done for years. It worked a treat we landed about a dozen small reddies in an hour or so.
Great thinking produced results.
Good fishing

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:17 pm

Had the day off so headed up to the Upper Coliban for a crack at some winter trout or redfin. Pulled in a small reddie after 10 minutes on the Berkley Gulp 3-inch Power Minnow in Pink Lemonade. I lost 4 or 5 lures and the wind almost cut me in half as I was only wearing a tee-shirt. Water was even lower than last time I went back in early autumn which was a bit disappointing. Not the easiest day out but enjoyable nonetheless.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:36 pm

Worth a crack, this time of year can produce some good fish.
According to fisheries the 3 lakes should be open to yaks and electric powered boats by August. Looking forward to it! Lauriston especially, however they all hold good fish.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:12 pm

Charles7 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:17 pm
Had the day off so headed up to the Upper Coliban for a crack at some winter trout or redfin. Pulled in a small reddie after 10 minutes on the Berkley Gulp 3-inch Power Minnow in Pink Lemonade. I lost 4 or 5 lures and the wind almost cut me in half as I was only wearing a tee-shirt. Water was even lower than last time I went back in early autumn which was a bit disappointing. Not the easiest day out but enjoyable nonetheless.

Not bad for just casting around for 10 minutes mate.
Nice one :)
Cheers :thumbsup:

TheNix
Has liked: 33 times

Post by TheNix » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:58 am

I was at the Upper Coliban a week or two back and the carp were still going nuts for bait (mostly corn, but I got one on worms too). Even caught a small brown on worms from by compost bin. The people I saw using lures were having a slow day.

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:21 pm

TheNix wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:58 am
I was at the Upper Coliban a week or two back and the carp were still going nuts for bait (mostly corn, but I got one on worms too). Even caught a small brown on worms from by compost bin. The people I saw using lures were having a slow day.
Mate I had a tin of corn in the tackle bag! I've been a diehard bait fisho since I picked up a rod but I've been making the transition to lures recently so I forced myself to persevere with the SPs.

TheNix
Has liked: 33 times

Post by TheNix » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:38 am

Charles7 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:21 pm
Mate I had a tin of corn in the tackle bag! I've been a diehard bait fisho since I picked up a rod but I've been making the transition to lures recently so I forced myself to persevere with the SPs.
In the Kyneton lakes I tend to have a rod out with corn for carp and the other I tend to alternate between different worms, maggots, yabbies, etc. depending on the day. I'll often fish with an "above and below" rig when I want to hedge by bets.

johncollins
Has liked: 2 times

Post by johncollins » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:54 pm

I just recently moved up this way and have been fishing the Upper Coliban Res a bit these last two weeks. Seen people taking carp on corn and heard a guy got a cod from the banks with a yabbie. I’ve had bugger all luck using worms, yabbies and lures. Tried mornings and dusk and middle of the day. Gonna keep trying. Haven’t tried Lauristan yet, maybe I’ll go hit that up. 😫

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:43 am

johncollins wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:54 pm
I just recently moved up this way and have been fishing the Upper Coliban Res a bit these last two weeks. Seen people taking carp on corn and heard a guy got a cod from the banks with a yabbie. I’ve had bugger all luck using worms, yabbies and lures. Tried mornings and dusk and middle of the day. Gonna keep trying. Haven’t tried Lauristan yet, maybe I’ll go hit that up. 😫
I remember I fished there ages ago. Caught trout and redfin on lures.
How's the water there? High/low? Dirty?
Try to fish any structure, bay, rock edges, dead tree, etc.
Keep trying, good luck!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Other Species”