Time out with some trout

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Time out with some trout

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu May 03, 2012 9:35 am

This time of year I use to head to Ecumbene, camp out. Nothing better than being rugged up and a blazing fire. Trying to stay warm and dry.

Great time of the year up at the snowy.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Thu May 03, 2012 8:19 pm

JohnBuoy wrote:Don't quote me on this but could the fight, or lack thereof, of freshwater fish be determined by the amount of available oxygen in the water? the more oxygen the more fight and the less oxygen the more docile? Just putting it out there
Have you read this somewhere or is it your own idea? Honestly, I think there may be something in it! I haven't caught that many trout but the ones I have caught have come from rapid water. I have noticed some of the bigger ones (around 4lb) that take me a while to get in will fight and then 'park' in the main current. They seem to just sit there for a while ( I can't move them with my light line). They seem to 'recharge' and then take off like a train again! May be refilling their oxygen 'level' when they are stuffed and it does seem to give them a burst of energy. I haven't caught lake fish, or saltwater fish for a comparison but.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

JohnBuoy

Post by JohnBuoy » Fri May 04, 2012 6:39 am

Rod Bender wrote:
JohnBuoy wrote:Don't quote me on this but could the fight, or lack thereof, of freshwater fish be determined by the amount of available oxygen in the water? the more oxygen the more fight and the less oxygen the more docile? Just putting it out there
Have you read this somewhere or is it your own idea? Honestly, I think there may be something in it! I haven't caught that many trout but the ones I have caught have come from rapid water. I have noticed some of the bigger ones (around 4lb) that take me a while to get in will fight and then 'park' in the main current. They seem to just sit there for a while ( I can't move them with my light line). They seem to 'recharge' and then take off like a train again! May be refilling their oxygen 'level' when they are stuffed and it does seem to give them a burst of energy. I haven't caught lake fish, or saltwater fish for a comparison but.
thanks
Jim
Just my own thoughts. but it seems logical.

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Fri May 04, 2012 11:29 am

Yes John, what you say makes sense, but I am not sure if it scientifically proven.
I think it also depend on where the hock get hocked in the fish, if the fish swallow the hock, or it is hocked deep in it is mouth it put less amount of fight, while if it hocked where it should be in the side of the mouth, it give a bit of run.
Although it is a bit harder to land a fish, but I’d prefer the fish to get hocked at the side of its mouth, which will allow me to drop it back in the water if I don’t want to keep it, while if it hocked deep in its mouth, I just cut the line and I let it go, which I’m not sure how long the fish can live after that?

Return to “Other Species”