Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by Cornacarpio » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:43 pm

Got home from work and was absolutely buggered...but it was too good of a night not to go fishing. I headed down the creek and holed up in my usual spot with usual results - lots of bites, but only managing to land two micro carp. After an hour or so I decided to call it quits and head home. As I was pedaling away on my bike I noticed a school of 5-6 reasonable sized carp. I was considering continuing on home, but my curiosity got the better of me, so I rigged up again and cast my line out. Got a bite straight away. Good signs. Baited up again and was pretty much on straight away. The result was a nice 60cm model that put up a great fight - the kind of model I have managed to avoid for the past week or so! As usual, there was a gaggle of incredulous onlookers, some who have seen me 'drowning bread' for the past couple of nights and asking me 'Is there actually fish in there?'

+3

2015/16 Total: 57 (Cumulative Total: 1425)

And if you fish for a carp with gentles, then put upon your hook a little piece of scarlet about this bigness [ ], it being soaked in or anointed with the oil of peter, called by some oil of the rock, and if your gentles be put two or three days before into a box or horn anointed with honey, and so put upon your hook as you preserve them to be living, you are as like to kill this crafty fish this way as any other; but still, as you are fishing, chew a little white or brown bread in your mouth, and cast it into the pond about the place where your float swims.

From The Compleat Angler (1996 edn), p.200
Attachments
20160308_194141.jpg
Finally, 'the one' I was after (60cm)
20160308_190747.jpg
Two tiddlers on a Tuesday...
20160308_184522.jpg
The usual suspect

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:38 am

the one at the top is a beauty :a_goodjob:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:12 am

great tucker
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:34 am

LOL :rofl:

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:06 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:Got home from work and was absolutely buggered...but it was too good of a night not to go fishing. I headed down the creek and holed up in my usual spot with usual results - lots of bites, but only managing to land two micro carp. After an hour or so I decided to call it quits and head home. As I was pedaling away on my bike I noticed a school of 5-6 reasonable sized carp. I was considering continuing on home, but my curiosity got the better of me, so I rigged up again and cast my line out. Got a bite straight away. Good signs. Baited up again and was pretty much on straight away. The result was a nice 60cm model that put up a great fight - the kind of model I have managed to avoid for the past week or so! As usual, there was a gaggle of incredulous onlookers, some who have seen me 'drowning bread' for the past couple of nights and asking me 'Is there actually fish in there?'

+3

2015/16 Total: 57 (Cumulative Total: 1425)

And if you fish for a carp with gentles, then put upon your hook a little piece of scarlet about this bigness [ ], it being soaked in or anointed with the oil of peter, called by some oil of the rock, and if your gentles be put two or three days before into a box or horn anointed with honey, and so put upon your hook as you preserve them to be living, you are as like to kill this crafty fish this way as any other; but still, as you are fishing, chew a little white or brown bread in your mouth, and cast it into the pond about the place where your float swims.

From The Compleat Angler (1996 edn), p.200
Nice to break the 60 mark again mate! :a_goodjob:

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:59 pm

Headed back to the spot where I got the 60cm model...and got nothing!

So back to catching tiddlers it was.

Maybe 60cm is the new 70cm for me these days?

+3

2015/16 Total: 60 (Cumulative Total: 1428)

Other baits be; but these, with diligence and patient watchfulness, will do it better than any that I have ever practised, or heard of: and yet I shall tell you that the crumb of white bread and honey, made into a paste, is a good bait for carp; and you know that it is more easily made. And have said thus much for a carp, my next discourse shall be of the bream; which shall not prove so tedious, and therefore I desire the continuance of your attention.

From The Compleat Angler (1996 edn), pp.200-201
Attachments
IMG_5777.jpg
IMG_5780.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:03 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:Headed back to the spot where I got the 60cm model...and got nothing!

So back to catching tiddlers it was.

Maybe 60cm is the new 70cm for me these days?

+3

2015/16 Total: 60 (Cumulative Total: 1428)

Other baits be; but these, with diligence and patient watchfulness, will do it better than any that I have ever practised, or heard of: and yet I shall tell you that the crumb of white bread and honey, made into a paste, is a good bait for carp; and you know that it is more easily made. And have said thus much for a carp, my next discourse shall be of the bream; which shall not prove so tedious, and therefore I desire the continuance of your attention.

At least you still managed to get 3! Better than a doughnut :)

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:08 pm

Lightningx wrote:At least you still managed to get 3! Better than a doughnut :)
Yep, not complaining...

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:49 pm

Headed down to the creek today for more of the same - two tiddlers, including one micro mirror.

+2

2015/16 Total: 62 (Cumulative Total: 1430)

But first, I will tell you how to make this carp, that is so curious to be caught, so curious a dish of meat, as shall make him worth all your labour and patience; and though it is not without some trouble and charges, yet it will recompense both.

Attachments
IMG_5781.jpg
IMG_5786.jpg
IMG_5790.jpg

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:36 pm

What hooks are you using to catch the tiny ones?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Other Species”