Flooded River Trout Fishing

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Flooded River Trout Fishing

Post by mazman » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:50 pm

Hey guys,

Here's a session from a couple of weeks back chasing trout in high water, with the amount of rain we've been getting this spring flooded rivers like this have become the norm. You can still have great sessions when rivers are like this, I go through a few little tips in the vid for what to target on the water.

A few other things for selecting a waterway to try after rain that I didn't mention in the vid;
Go upstream, the further up you go the smaller the catchment and the less flooded it will be.
Steep valleys, rivers in steep valleys settle down after rain events faster but are also more prone to flash flooding from heavy rain.
Rocky or Stony streambeds, the less silt and mud in the streambed and surrounding area the clearer the river will be after floods.
and lastly give yourself a few options, be prepared to try a few different places and see what the conditions and how the fish are feeding in them.

Anyway I hope you enjoy the video and can get out there and chase trout more succesfully with these less than ideal conditions we've been getting.

https://youtu.be/tqMQ0eDpXnk

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Flooded River Trout Fishing

Post by russellh2 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:01 pm

Great video - I used to fish the upper part of the Yarra River above Warburton when it was in flood, water up into paddocks, sometimes only around 300mm deep, drifted unweighted worms on the fast/slow water line, never failed to catch fish - Back in the 70's // 80's - Great Memories.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:06 pm

Enjoyed the vid mate.
Cheers 👍🏻

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:59 pm

russellh2 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:01 pm
Great video - I used to fish the upper part of the Yarra River above Warburton when it was in flood, water up into paddocks, sometimes only around 300mm deep, drifted unweighted worms on the fast/slow water line, never failed to catch fish - Back in the 70's // 80's - Great Memories.
It can be a great way to fish, when the water has a bit more colour to it I swap over to squirmy wormies and try to target similar areas, just in smaller rivers usually.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Other Species”