Barwon river reddies

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
User avatar
4liters
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:05 am
Has liked: 5 times
Likes received: 477 times

Re: Barwon river reddies

Post by 4liters » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:52 pm

Don't throw those guys back in future, they taste great. They're also a pest in our waterways so you're doing the native species a favour each time you eat one. Not that there's too may natives in the barwon.

Just knock the fillets off and run the knife under the skin to remove it, then you can do whatever you want with them, although I'd probably draw the line at sashimi.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

User avatar
4liters
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:05 am
Has liked: 5 times
Likes received: 477 times

Re: Barwon river reddies

Post by 4liters » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:54 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:38 am
Nude up wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:01 am
Is that up near fyansford I sometimes pass there to get to the freeway the river looks good there. I haven’t fished fresh water for a long time but I can say reddies are great tasting . Nice work
Yep launched at fyansford boat/canoe ramp
Is that the one downstream of the Queens Park bridge or upstream of Baum's Weir?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

happyfriggincamper
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:48 am
Has liked: 379 times
Likes received: 207 times

Re: Barwon river reddies

Post by happyfriggincamper » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:06 pm

4liters wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:54 pm
happyfriggincamper wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:38 am
Nude up wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:01 am
Is that up near fyansford I sometimes pass there to get to the freeway the river looks good there. I haven’t fished fresh water for a long time but I can say reddies are great tasting . Nice work
Yep launched at fyansford boat/canoe ramp
Is that the one downstream of the Queens Park bridge or upstream of Baum's Weir?
Downstream <1km from QPB

purple5ive
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:59 pm
Has liked: 440 times
Likes received: 687 times

Re: Barwon river reddies

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:08 pm

Great stuff man, the Barwon looks pretty scenic down that way!
cheers
Small Fish Specialist :-D :-D :-D

User avatar
4liters
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:05 am
Has liked: 5 times
Likes received: 477 times

Re: Barwon river reddies

Post by 4liters » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:12 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:06 pm
4liters wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:54 pm
happyfriggincamper wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:38 am
Nude up wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:01 am
Is that up near fyansford I sometimes pass there to get to the freeway the river looks good there. I haven’t fished fresh water for a long time but I can say reddies are great tasting . Nice work
Yep launched at fyansford boat/canoe ramp
Is that the one downstream of the Queens Park bridge or upstream of Baum's Weir?
Downstream <1km from QPB
I know the place well, I just couldn't pick the location from the photos. I launch from the Geelong Canoe club a few km downstream from the ramp not far from the Shannon Ave bridge.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

happyfriggincamper
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:48 am
Has liked: 379 times
Likes received: 207 times

Re: Barwon river reddies

Post by happyfriggincamper » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:42 pm

4liters wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:12 pm
happyfriggincamper wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:06 pm
4liters wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:54 pm
happyfriggincamper wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:38 am
Nude up wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:01 am
Is that up near fyansford I sometimes pass there to get to the freeway the river looks good there. I haven’t fished fresh water for a long time but I can say reddies are great tasting . Nice work
Yep launched at fyansford boat/canoe ramp
Is that the one downstream of the Queens Park bridge or upstream of Baum's Weir?
Downstream <1km from QPB
I know the place well, I just couldn't pick the location from the photos. I launch from the Geelong Canoe club a few km downstream from the ramp not far from the Shannon Ave bridge.
Ah OK - didn't know about that one - looks like a good option as well. That section was good due to the "cliff" on the Belmont side + all the bush along the bank. I trolled along that bank and commonly found it to be 3m+ deep (and weedless) only 2m from the river Bank - so made for good trolling water.

Next chance I get was going to try launching from Barwon boat ramp, fishing downstream and seeing how the river is structured there. Banks look bushy so no doubt there is structure and food sources, but from what I've seen it runs thru flatter land, so interested to see what it looks like on the sounder and where the fish are.

User avatar
4liters
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:05 am
Has liked: 5 times
Likes received: 477 times

Re: Barwon river reddies

Post by 4liters » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:50 pm

Yeah it looks good there. I've never caught anything in that part of the river but I've seen some big carp jumping
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Post Reply

Return to “Other Species”