St Leonards Calamari - 23/3/2022

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

St Leonards Calamari - 23/3/2022

Post by Andrews » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:11 pm

Hey everyone,

Quick report on some more land-based Calamari @ St Leonards Pier.
We have had quite a few overcast days this week, which has made for some great squid fishing.

FISHED:
Tuesday 5:00-6:30PM, Overcast, Run-in/Slack tide with a slightly milky clarity, moderate winds 15km/hr.
Managed five squid, all smaller. Saw another 2 caught.

The evening was overcast and the winds were pretty calm, which often makes for a good session. This time the squid were smaller, cautious and a little slow (maybe 1 every 15 minutes). It may not have been a session of constant action, but I did break a milestone - 100 squid on this jig alone.

Moved into my favourite spot casting over to the further weed bed edge and with a hopping action let the jig leave the weed bed to sink over the sandy bottom. This has been a great style for the recent squid as they're actively striking on the drop over sand (more so than weed).

Within three casts and we had the first small squid, this one stuck on the third sink.
Rinse and repeat, before the squid stopped biting and the rain clouds started to loom overhead.
Moved into the shallows for one final squid.

The squid were slow, at times disinterested in the jig and nothing bigger than maybe 20cm.
C3B216C4-1EE8-4DB9-ACE0-B67EFD08F800.JPEG
62871BD5-8E71-4E7E-92FA-8F6AF1A388BC.JPEG
BAA35750-A888-4659-86C7-FFBB6744D84B.JPEG
Last edited by Andrews on Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: St Leonards Calamari - 23/3/2022

Post by Nude up » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:14 pm

I noticed on Monday that the squid would strike at the jig then move away wait next hop bang straight on. Really clear water at indented head

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:17 pm

Nude up wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:14 pm
I noticed on Monday that the squid would strike at the jig then move away wait next hop bang straight on. Really clear water at indented head
That was almost the story all Tuesday evening, they would approach the jig and make multiple gentle holds of the jigs body before releasing. I had one very small squid grab the jig maybe 15 times before becoming disinterested. I sometimes find the smaller squid are quite hesitant towards the jig when it is higher in the water colum and letting it sink right to the bottom often gives them the confidence to strike.

St Leonatds still had that light miky colour, clear, but milky.
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:55 pm

Nice.
I'm possibly going to St Leonard pier Saturday early morning. If you're going, I'll say hi.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:44 pm

Sebb wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:55 pm
Nice.
I'm possibly going to St Leonard pier Saturday early morning. If you're going, I'll say hi.
That's awesome, I reckon the squid will be on the bite. Few trevs around too.
I would if I didn't just head back to Melbourne a few hours ago! always next time!

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”